Question Looking to OC and Athlon 200ge

Desch_

Reputable
Apr 29, 2016
If anyone wants better help overclocking a 200ge i finally found a good thread and video both on this reddit

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/aa371u/athlon_200ge_asrock_overclocking_test_battlefield/

ASRock, MSI boards are best apparently from what ive seen.
3700-3900mhz @ 1.35v seems to be a happy place for many tweakers.

Hi guys,

I built a budget photo-editor a few months ago.

Its up and running smoothly now, but I'd like to OC the processor.

AMD released the athlon 200ge as a locked processor, but a few companies claimed and confirmed the ability to OC the little CPUs and people on Youtube have had a lot of success with making these little powerhouses as good and better than i3-8300ks. I would like to achieve something similar through a moderate OC'ing of the CPU, RAM, and possible the GPU down the line...

Motherboard: ASRock b450m Pro 4
CPU: Athlon 200ge
RAM: GeiL Pristine 2x4 2133 (might be 2400 i forget tbh)
GPU: Radeon HD 7770

When i boot BIOS with f11 it doesnt let me use OC Tweaker to simply increase the Mhz like my Ryzen 5 build allows.

According to articles printed around the time this CPU was released ASRock is one of the few companies whos MoBos allow OCing of athlon200ge out of the box. Any help much appreciated!

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
That chip is locked, and not meant for overclocking. Only a handful of boards, I believe, unlocked the ability to overclock it. Your ram is too slow, also. That CPU should be paired with 2666 ram. AMD chips are very sensitive to ram. I agree that getting a cheap Ryzen 3 or 5, would be a better option. That and faster ram. (3200 for Ryzen 3/5)

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
In particular, if you are using the stock cooling fan even a very small OC would quickly heat soak the sink. I was very readily able to sell min for $25, about half what I paid for it. It is super common to see 1200 with a cooler used around $50 but you have to act quick. The 1200 I had OC to 3.9 like a champ on the stock cooler.

Desch_

Reputable
Apr 29, 2016
That chip is locked, and not meant for overclocking. Only a handful of boards, I believe, unlocked the ability to overclock it. Your ram is too slow, also. That CPU should be paired with 2666 ram. AMD chips are very sensitive to ram. I agree that getting a cheap Ryzen 3 or 5, would be a better option. That and faster ram. (3200 for Ryzen 3/5)
?
Im aware only a few boards are compatible, ASRock is listed as one of the manufacturers who has unlocked ability to OC this chip. I know RAM isnt great but I dont have a problem OC'ing that to 2400 or 2600.
im not buying a new chip for this build. whole idea is to keep it super cheap, it performs its job very well. When i replace my r5 1400 with a r5 3600 ill use the 1400 in place of the athlon, but until then id like to push the athlons performance for giggles.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uceBvfe9sho

this guy does it on asrock board.

Last edited by a moderator:

Desch_

Reputable
Apr 29, 2016
In particular, if you are using the stock cooling fan even a very small OC would quickly heat soak the sink. I was very readily able to sell min for $25, about half what I paid for it. It is super common to see 1200 with a cooler used around $50 but you have to act quick. The 1200 I had OC to 3.9 like a champ on the stock cooler.

i have a Ryzen 5 cooler on it. Plenty of cooling capabilities. the OC just isnt holding.

Desch_

Reputable
Apr 29, 2016
also, the whole purpose of owning this chip is the integrated gpu, so im not swapping it to an R3 or R5 unless someone give me a free G series. it makes trouble shooting and system swapping soooo much easier to use inteegrated gfx than to have to constantly be swapping GPUs, especially if youre like me and you have more CPUs than GPUs just lying around waiting to be used...