[SOLVED] Looking to overclock my CPU Ryzen 7 2700

Mar 29, 2020
Looking to overclock my CPU. can i get any help with it? (like program and what to oc it to) thanks

Solution
Looking to overclock my CPU. can i get any help with it? (like program and what to oc it to) thanks
PBO is enabled through either RyzenMaster program (available on AMD website) or BIOS of your motherboard. BIOS is preferred, but RM is a good way to experiment.

The general method with 2nd gen is to turn PBO on, set to manual, slide the EDC, TDC and PPT sliders to max and undervolt the core voltage as much as possible (until it becomes unstable, then back up a notch) using negative offsets. That's the general method, tweaking of course often helps.

While PBO is reputed to work well on 2700X CPU's, 2700's aren't graced with as much boosting margin and don't usually benefit as well. You're often better off fixing an overclock...
PBO is enabled through either RyzenMaster program (available on AMD website) or BIOS of your motherboard. BIOS is preferred, but RM is a good way to experiment.

The general method with 2nd gen is to turn PBO on, set to manual, slide the EDC, TDC and PPT sliders to max and undervolt the core voltage as much as possible (until it becomes unstable, then back up a notch) using negative offsets. That's the general method, tweaking of course often helps.

While PBO is reputed to work well on 2700X CPU's, 2700's aren't graced with as much boosting margin and don't usually benefit as well. You're often better off fixing an overclock with multipliers in BIOS and finding the lowest voltage that keeps it stable, again using offsets are preferred.

The reason to use offset voltage adjustment (never fixed) is it allows the voltage to drop to very low levels when the CPU is idle. It remains stable. Even with a fixed multiplier the lowered voltage prolongs CPU life, although it's still stressing a lot more than using PBO where both clocks and voltage drop when at idle and even in the middle of workloads to keep the CPU cooler.

You have to experiment both ways and then make your choice which works best for you. Either way you need premium cooling, so invest in one. The stock coolers just don't keep the CPU cool enough to get the most out of them.

Last edited:
Solution