Looking to refresh my system!

Apr 6, 2018
I am currently in the process of buying parts for my circa 2014 system and could really use some of your help to make it happen. I initially bought my system, an Asus M11AD for some work and classwork-not for anything intensive like gaming. I watch movies on it on occasion.

Here is the current build of my PC:
Processor: Intel Core I7 4770S 3.10GHz
Mainboard: ASUSTek Computer Inc
Memory DDR3 single channel 8GB installed
Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 8500 Series, 2048 MBytes memoery

Due to a fan beginning to fail, and since I am going to open the case I want to replace/upgrade the following components:

• Graphics card (I have a double monitor setup)
    Fans
    Power supply (for the new GPU)
    I am also seeking to add+additinal 8GB ram and an additional 1 TB SSD

I dont have an incredible budget-so some options would be nice as far as price range. The goal is to upgrade to durable and quality (and hopefully fast) components. If anyone on this forum can be of assistance, I would certainly appreciate it. I really dont know how to buy comparable products. Thanks again for your time in advance.

logainofhades

Titan
Your budget is going to matter here. For ram, look at the sticker on it, and get a matching stick, to help reduce chance of instability. Mix matched ram can be unstable to use. For PSU and SSD, this will do fine for you.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Crucial - MX300 1.1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($254.21 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($58.50 @ Newegg)
Total: $312.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-06 17:10 EDT-0400

If not looking to game, a GT 1030 would be plenty for your needs, and probably would work with the PSU you have.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA25V62M7933

Just a question, why the need for a 1tb SSD? Myself, I have a 250gb SSD for a boot drive then a 1tb for storage, but can always add more if needed. I'd recommend maybe a 500gb to save money then put the saved funds towards a new GPU. If you are just wanting it for quicker boot up, I'd even probably get a 250gb or so, then a 1 or 2 tb mechanical drive for storage and installing steam games etc. If you are gaming, drive speeds should not make much difference except with an SSD they may load a few seconds quicker.

Why do you want to upgrade? Without knowing the why I can't offer any whats. What are the PC's weaknesses?

because you don't have an incredible budget there's no reason to buy something you don't need.

Why the 1TB SSD? A 1TB HDD is under $50. A 1TB SSD will be a great deal more.

No idea which PSU to offer when I've no clue which GFX card will be there nor how much it'll eat.

Apr 6, 2018
Hello everyone-thanks for the suggestions!!

My budget would be right around $500.

I am not looking to game-just watch movies if anything. I suppose my work involves graphics (I work in finance) but nothing crazy there.

I wanted the SSD for storage as I have my own business and the 1TB drive I have currently is about at 90% capacity. I chose the SSD route because for some reason, I have the proclivity of breaking mechanical drives. Perhaps I can come off that 1TB and grab a 500GB to save some clams.

I want to upgrade because I'm getting the groans in the fans, the HD is filling up and the computer is generally "laggy"-plus I have a few weeks to build this and get it going. Seems like good timing. Entirely lost on selecting fans for exhaust-they (both) seem to be making whining noises.

Apr 6, 2018
Hey aquielisunari,
Thanks for the help-I meant HDMI, sorry about that. MY current setup is one HDMI out, one VGA out. I was on mobile and walking when replying. Never try that.
I appreciate the time you have taken to help me.

Solution