[SOLVED] Looking to replace mother board and processor if needed. thanks in advance

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
So I currently have a geforce gtx1060 3gb with 650 power watt supply. I have a intel i5 -4570 cpu @ 3.20 ghz and a ASRock Z87 Extreme4 with 16 gig of Forza Ram with Asus VG 248QE 24in monitor.

So what I am asking is will there a big difference in my system now if I make any changes. My games all run to my knowledge sweet. but still new to the PC world and just checking my options. Thanks in advance

Solution
4K and the 1080Ti, it is passable. But as new games come out it will quickly fall behind. Certainly don't expect the highest settings in all titles. You may have to compromise and settle for less than 60FPS.

Personally going to stick with 1440p 144hz for a while longer. Even though my GTX1080 can't quite muster up the power to run the latest games above 80 or so FPS, I think I shall wait for the next Nvidia release. Looking forward to what a die shrink from them will do.

Nothing wrong with buying a monitor planning for the future, but if you are going to be stuck with it for a few years, be prepared. 4K 60hz is still a heavy load on every GPU but the 2080Ti. They are releasing 4K 120hz panels now, but it takes a pair of 2080Ti to...

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
Eximo: I agree going custom watercooling is the way to go. Its just there is no risk even if your corsair or nzxt leaks, warranty covers for (corsair 5 years, nzxt 6 years) all parts which are damaged during leak. I would be afraid to use any AIO after its warranty has expired, and 5 - 6 years should be enough for 2 systems. I agree quality even on those are nothing compared what you can get with custom watercooling

EDIT: i actually had leaks with 2 aio which where out of warranty, both had something like 1 or 2 year warranty. I was stupid and still continued to use them, both where really bad quality parts when i checked after online

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
So wanted to give an update I have found a slightly used Core I7-4790K for $120. So going with this and also 16 gigs of RIP jaws ram each stick 4gigs. Buying whole package for $150. So get my cooler fan and I am good. And will start saving for my new build. But I am excited to see the change you have showed me. I will let you know.

This might be too late but why did you get another 16gb x 4 of ram since you already have 16gb? Unless these are rated something like 2666 or 2933mhz xmp profile with quality heatsinks its not even worth 30 bucks. What is your old ram specs?

120 $ for i7-4790k sounds not bad at all. Did the seller tell its delidded or not? Remember to use quality thermal paste between heatsink and processor die, i suggest noctua NT-H1 or Gelid GC extreme.

About cooling, dont buy any cooler until you tell what case you have (Large aircoolers and 3 fan aio dont fit in most cases) you need to check compatibility. Also ram heatsinks can block large aircooler from fitting in, this depends on your new ram and case size. If good aircooler fits your case and dont block the ram that might be the way to go, moneywise.

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
I bought the ram because what you said the Dimm's did not match. I feel like I got a good deal on cpu due to he wanted $150 most are selling in USA still for $170 + . He is providing thermal paste have to see what kind. I have a cpu cooler now pretty large with one fan connected to it. My CPU now playing FF runs around 45c up to 60c but max is 105c. Also if you go back and see my first few post's my case is on here. So another fan on back, then open holes up top and 2 fans on front. Do you have any suggestions on cases, around $60 nothing to fancy, for now.

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
I bought the ram because what you said the Dimm's did not match. I feel like I got a good deal on cpu due to he wanted $150 most are selling in USA still for $170 + . He is providing thermal paste have to see what kind. I have a cpu cooler now pretty large with one fan connected to it. My CPU now playing FF runs around 45c up to 60c but max is 105c. Also if you go back and see my first few post's my case is on here. So another fan on back, then open holes up top and 2 fans on front. Do you have any suggestions on cases, around $60 nothing to fancy, for now.

Oh yeah i forgot your ram didnt match then its fine. 60c is competely fine temperature, what do you mean by max 105c? Everything until 85c is fine, above that and you get near thermal throttling and losing performance.

I found pic of your case but no exact model, just use https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/ site to see what cases your cpu fan and motherboard is compatible with. You might not need to update your case at all, what is exact (case) model? And also did you buy new cpu fan what model is it

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
105C, 100C are typical TJMax temperature limits. A few 90C here and there.

85C is a decent rule of thumb for both CPUs and GPUs, but generally GPU's are safe to higher sustained temperatures (they have a lot more surface area for dissipation) and it is best to keep CPUs in the 70s or lower. (And on older AMD products, below 63C)

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
Oh yeah i forgot your ram didnt match then its fine. 60c is competely fine temperature, what do you mean by max 105c? Everything until 85c is fine, above that and you get near thermal throttling and losing performance.

I found pic of your case but no exact model, just use https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/ site to see what cases your cpu fan and motherboard is compatible with. You might not need to update your case at all, what is exact (case) model? And also did you buy new cpu fan what model is it

Ok update I actually today took out all wires and rerouted with a much better and clean look. I fixed my fan by watching a video. Did a couple drops of oil and now my CPU dropped to 35-45c and I also learned last night I have the exact pc cooler you all recommended the hyper 212. And now with my case all clean and dusted out really good. I am gonna hold of on case exchange. I can add up to 5 more case fans if I like. Gonna stay with MB. As suggested. And next is installing my 17-4790k and new matching ram. Other then adding some fans i am done with PC. Now looking for a nice comfy gaming chair and desk for 3 monitor set up. I will keep you all updated. Thanks again for all your help really.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Adding oil to a fan is a temporary solution at best, the bearing is still going to have the wear from when it wasn't working quite right. You should order a new static pressure fan and put that on the CPU cooler. You can also get a fan you like the look of over the stock 212 fan.

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
Adding oil to a fan is a temporary solution at best, the bearing is still going to have the wear from when it wasn't working quite right. You should order a new static pressure fan and put that on the CPU cooler. You can also get a fan you like the look of over the stock 212 fan.

Well I agree but I been looking for that type of clip on fan for my cooler. Any links be great for guidance. Thanks

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
+1 for new fan asap, adding oil just gives it couple of months if even that. Noctua F12 2000rpm is very good if you dont mind little noise from the fan. Noctua F12 3000rpm is even better but can be quite loud. I only used these fans so cant really advice anything really quiet one.

Remember that you can use 2 fans on hyper 212 ( one fan pushes air to heatsink and another is placed back of heatsink pulling air from it towards case, this gives even better performance in cooling and i suggest it)

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
+1 for new fan asap, adding oil just gives it couple of months if even that. Noctua F12 2000rpm is very good if you dont mind little noise from the fan. Noctua F12 3000rpm is even better but can be quite loud. I only used these fans so cant really advice anything really quiet one.

Remember that you can use 2 fans on hyper 212 ( one fan pushes air to heatsink and another is placed back of heatsink pulling air from it towards case, this gives even better performance in cooling and i suggest it)

The only thing I cant figure out is how do you attach them to the heatsink. Mine is a 4 copper barrel 212 evo ?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
How is the current fan attached?

I know on my 212 the clips were screwed to the fan, and the whole assembly was clipped to the heatsink. And they included a second set of clips for running a second fan.

Most just use stiff wire and bend little clips to fit into grooves on the side of the heatsink. You can make your own with a pair of pliers and a paperclip with a little patience.

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
I wanted to give an update installed the i7-4790k it's running while playing for 12 hours straight no higher then 50c. Been playing Final Fantasy, BF5, RE2, and getting on Avg 80 - 110 FPS playing wonderfully. However I have a question if I wanted to upgrade GPU what do you all recommend. Just curious.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
1080p 144hz and a GTX 1060 3GB.

Pretty much as fast as you would want to go is perfectly acceptable. Depends on what you want to spend.

GTX1660Ti, RX5700, RTX2060 / RTX2060 Super are reasonable high end entries. If you were looking at new monitors like 1440p and up, then you can consider the big cards.

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
He has a 1060 card already. That seems like a very good temperature under load, even too good. Did you monitor it INGAME? I mean while stressing the cpu?

Your went from this : https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-4570+@+3.20GHz&id=1896
To this: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4790K+@+4.00GHz&id=2275

So even on stock cpu should not be the bottleneck now in any case.
My 9 year old 8 thread cpu wont get bottlenecked even by 980ti or 1060. I would suggest going for something which is gonna last you for the next 3 years atleast, you wont be bottlenecked by cpu with 1080/1080ti, there might be some with 1080ti but if you overclock that cpu then that will be fixed. There is no point oc:ing it now cause you have a 1060 and that is the bottleneck.

I have no idea about 20 series graphics cards budget or expensive models, i would go for 1080ti and if its too expensive then 1080

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I was replying to the overall thread, which started with a GTX1060 3GB, I assume that is still card in question, as well as the monitor. Putting it there in the suggestion was to show what we were working with. Not much sense in recommending an upgrade to a super high end GPU if the monitor becomes the bottleneck.

Unless the used price is very good for a GTX1080 or 1080Ti I would be looking at the new Super line of cards. RTX2060 Super should be superior to a GTX1080, though few of the comparisons I have seen include it. Mostly compared to the RX5700 and the RTX2070 that it effectively replaces.

Really comes down to the amount available to spend. At $400 the RTX2060 Super is compelling. At $350 the RX5700 is not bad at all. And the old RTX2060 is nothing to dismiss.

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
He has a 1060 card already. That seems like a very good temperature under load, even too good. Did you monitor it INGAME? I mean while stressing the cpu?

Your went from this : https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-4570+@+3.20GHz&id=1896
To this: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4790K+@+4.00GHz&id=2275

So even on stock cpu should not be the bottleneck now in any case.
My 9 year old 8 thread cpu wont get bottlenecked even by 980ti or 1060. I would suggest going for something which is gonna last you for the next 3 years atleast, you wont be bottlenecked by cpu with 1080/1080ti, there might be some with 1080ti but if you overclock that cpu then that will be fixed. There is no point oc:ing it now cause you have a 1060 and that is the bottleneck.

I have no idea about 20 series graphics cards budget or expensive models, i would go for 1080ti and if its too expensive then 1080

Yes I have been stress testing while playing in game. With the Intel diagnostic tool. I was looking at 1080ti but saw that the rtx 2060 was better and more up to date I think.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The problem I am running into is that few people are testing these new GPUs at 1080p any longer. GTX1080Ti certainly wins out in higher resolutions, by a good margin, but we are talking flagship GPU from really only one generation ago, still quite good. Vs a mid-range offering. Though the mid-range is sliding up, along with price.

If you can find a 1080Ti for less then $400, that is a decent purchase. I'm seeing $500-600 on ebay for buy it nows. So not quite down to that level yet. For that money, the RTX2070 Super is the better deal.

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019

So I wanted to let you know that I bought a new Artic fan and its working great. So here is the following build now!

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz 26 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASRock Z87 Extreme4 (CPUSocket) 30 °C
Graphics
VG248 (1920x1080@144Hz)
VE228 (1920x1080@60Hz)
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (EVGA) 51 °C
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-9YN162 (SATA ) 27 °C
953GB PCIe SSD (Unknown (SSD))
28GB PNY USB 3.0 FD USB Device (USB )
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
I was replying to the overall thread, which started with a GTX1060 3GB, I assume that is still card in question, as well as the monitor. Putting it there in the suggestion was to show what we were working with. Not much sense in recommending an upgrade to a super high end GPU if the monitor becomes the bottleneck.

Unless the used price is very good for a GTX1080 or 1080Ti I would be looking at the new Super line of cards. RTX2060 Super should be superior to a GTX1080, though few of the comparisons I have seen include it. Mostly compared to the RX5700 and the RTX2070 that it effectively replaces.

Really comes down to the amount available to spend. At $400 the RTX2060 Super is compelling. At $350 the RX5700 is not bad at all. And the old RTX2060 is nothing to dismiss.

So I found a slightly used they said it's a gtx 1080TI forncrpto mining? Anythoughts???
$300

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
hey all I am back things been crazy, so my Rig is as of now running sweet. but want to upgrade the monitor so I am guessing before that to upgrade my GPU. I am thinking about going with the GTX1080Ti , so with that GPU and upgrading to a main 4k at least 27in monitor with 1Ms responce time. any thoughts appreciate all the advice with all your help I have a sweet Rig just getting better!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
4K and the 1080Ti, it is passable. But as new games come out it will quickly fall behind. Certainly don't expect the highest settings in all titles. You may have to compromise and settle for less than 60FPS.

Personally going to stick with 1440p 144hz for a while longer. Even though my GTX1080 can't quite muster up the power to run the latest games above 80 or so FPS, I think I shall wait for the next Nvidia release. Looking forward to what a die shrink from them will do.

Nothing wrong with buying a monitor planning for the future, but if you are going to be stuck with it for a few years, be prepared. 4K 60hz is still a heavy load on every GPU but the 2080Ti. They are releasing 4K 120hz panels now, but it takes a pair of 2080Ti to satisfy them. Just not practical yet. I'll swap out for 4K when that 4K 120hz is possible with a single GPU.

Solution

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
So forgive me for asking the same question. So I currently have a Asus VG 248QE 3D Monitor 1080P at 144Htrz 24in. As you know CPU is now I4790K with GPU GTX 1060 3gb.

What do you recommend then for upgrade on GPU and Monitor too be good for a couples years