[SOLVED] Looking to replace mother board and processor if needed. thanks in advance

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
So I currently have a geforce gtx1060 3gb with 650 power watt supply. I have a intel i5 -4570 cpu @ 3.20 ghz and a ASRock Z87 Extreme4 with 16 gig of Forza Ram with Asus VG 248QE 24in monitor.

So what I am asking is will there a big difference in my system now if I make any changes. My games all run to my knowledge sweet. but still new to the PC world and just checking my options. Thanks in advance

Solution
4K and the 1080Ti, it is passable. But as new games come out it will quickly fall behind. Certainly don't expect the highest settings in all titles. You may have to compromise and settle for less than 60FPS.

Personally going to stick with 1440p 144hz for a while longer. Even though my GTX1080 can't quite muster up the power to run the latest games above 80 or so FPS, I think I shall wait for the next Nvidia release. Looking forward to what a die shrink from them will do.

Nothing wrong with buying a monitor planning for the future, but if you are going to be stuck with it for a few years, be prepared. 4K 60hz is still a heavy load on every GPU but the 2080Ti. They are releasing 4K 120hz panels now, but it takes a pair of 2080Ti to...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, for games, the limiting factor is likely to be your graphics card. Though if you are after high refresh rate then your CPU may start to be a bottleneck.

Really comes down to what you play and what you want to achieve.

There are certainly faster CPUs and faster GPUs, but getting into that is going to start costing some serious money.

i5-4570 is roughly equivalent to Ryzen 3 2200G, so to see an improvement you would be looking at a Ryzen 5 or Intel 8th or 9th gen i5.

GTX1060 3GB is only two notches up from the bottom of the 10 series, which launched almost three years ago, though the 1060 came much later. Nvidia has their 16 and 20 series on the market. GTX 1650 would beat out the 1060. AMD is launching new mid-range GPUs in a month, but they start at $379, but is roughly RTX2060 levels of performance.

For immediate improvement in graphics, you can pick up an RX580 or GTX1660Ti. For the CPU, I think Ryzen is a good choice, but if you can afford to wait a few weeks, AMD will have their 3000 Series chips on the market. Should be pretty close to matching Intel for the first time in a while, not just being a good alternative, but the best choice overall.

Depends on what you have to spend.

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
Thanks for the response. As far as games I play lots FPS, MMORPG, not sports or racing games as of yet. mostly RPG , and fast shooters and lots of online play. I mean when I switched from the 60htz to 144htz I was blown away. So then possibly look at a better Graphics card first?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Specific titles would be more useful. CS:GO doesn't take a whole lot to run, but is a popular FPS. Even WoW can punish a GPU with the right settings turned on.

This one is tricky. Yes a faster GPU will get you more FPS, but only up to a point. Somewhere along the line the CPU won't be able to deliver enough information to the GPU to keep up. I would feel comfortable recommending an RTX2060 as the upper limit of what that CPU can comfortably handle. Would probably still be a bottleneck, but you can always upgrade the CPU later. You can test this yourself to an extent. Reduce the resolution or graphics settings until you no longer see an FPS increase. That is the limit of the CPU.

But if you start that process it will probably never finish and you will always have a mismatch between the CPU and GPU. If you are satisfied with performance for now, just start saving up so you can do a complete build. With AMD releasing new CPUs and GPUs in the coming weeks there might be some significant price changes. Also don't have any independent reviews of these new components, basing everything off what AMD has said.

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
so the games I am playing or have been playing are BF5, Witcher 3, Doom. MU Legends, Diablo , Metro Exodus, WOW'. Terra.

I am like I said just learning and seeing what options I had. Its funny my case is a large metal case with 2 fans on front, 2 in the back and on bottom. its whisper quiet though. when i bought it from a friend he was running all components i have listed. The graphics card was a GTX660 and 8 gig of ram. So I have added those 2 things. it made such a difference.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Those first two are pretty graphically intense titles. A faster GPU would let you crank up the settings and possibly see more FPS. BF5 does have a pretty big CPU component as well, it likes threads, up to 7 it can use effectively if I recall. Exodus is pretty intense as well.

That testing I mentioned should give you the answer you need to decide what to upgrade first. You would have to lower the graphics settings in each game, see how it does. Then decide which game you find most appealing and or play the most and what would make that experience better.

I'm not surprised a GTX660 -> GTX1060 3GB was such an improvement. GTX660 is roughly as fast as a GTX1050. GTX1050 has 640 cuda cores, vs the 1152 cores of the 1060 3GB. So about 40% faster at the worst, much faster memory too. And there were two models of the GTX660, I'm assuming the faster one.

You have a fairly low power system all things considered. Not surprised it runs cool enough you don't need to crank up the fans.
Also, airflow is more important than flow rate most of the time. Just have to make sure cool air goes in and hot air gets out.

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
yes I agree. my case is vented on the top and the side is all open on with plenty of open vent tiny holes on the side. I keep it close to my Ac floor vent,

also if you have any thoughts on my case on front i have USB ports and 3.5 outlets that don't function. I am not sure why when I do a check they say working properly but they don't. Now the ones in the back to the mother board work fine. As I said I bought this from a friend who had it for a while. I only paid $200 for the whole thing.

Now when you say reduce the resolution or graphic settings does that mean to just lower my monitor settings? and the graphic setting to low right now there all set pretty much each game between high or medium. I love the fact I have switched from platform to now PC gaming. So I am the type I want to learn more about the PC Gaming DNA.
sor0uf.jpg
2lx777l.jpg

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Aside from measuring each pin on the USB 3.0 connector for continuity, everything else lies with the motherboard. You might need to look at updating motherboard drivers.

Yes, essentially you want the GPU to be doing as little as possible. The CPU will when show how fast it can run the game. When the FPS stops increasing, you have found the CPU's limit. If that FPS is a reasonable and acceptable increase over what you are getting with the settings you use, then you should probably look at a graphics card to increase settings. IE the GPU is the bottleneck.

If you see no rise in game performance as you lower the settings, then a faster CPU will get you more FPS and you should invest in the CPU options discussed above.

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
Aside from measuring each pin on the USB 3.0 connector for continuity, everything else lies with the motherboard. You might need to look at updating motherboard drivers.

Yes, essentially you want the GPU to be doing as little as possible. The CPU will when show how fast it can run the game. When the FPS stops increasing, you have found the CPU's limit. If that FPS is a reasonable and acceptable increase over what you are getting with the settings you use, then you should probably look at a graphics card to increase settings. IE the GPU is the bottleneck.

If you see no rise in game performance as you lower the settings, then a faster CPU will get you more FPS and you should invest in the CPU options discussed above.

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
So I have another question, I am learning and finding out that anytime I try to get into my asrock bios setting. I may have 5 seconds before it freezes and cant do nothing, then the system just reboots it self. what would be the reason for this?

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
You have motherboard with excellent 12 power phases. You might look into upgrading your cpu to i7 which is a "k" version meaning it has unlocked multiplier and you could get that thing running very high clocks with that motherboard. Look a good deal on either Core i7-4770K or Core i7-4790K dont really matter which one both have 4 core 8 threads and unlocked multiplier.

You get about 150% increase in performance even without overclocking your cpu : https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-i5-4570/2275vs1896
And obviously score increases even more when you oc it 4,5ghz example

Just saves you some years until you have to upgrade motherboard since that looks like really good one going waste if you just update whole system.

Reactions: mackjohnsonforty

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
with i7-4770k i7-4790k you wont even get bottlenecked by 1070 or 1080 if you decide to upgrade your GPU. For 1080ti you need to oc it pretty hard.

Thanks for chiming in, I have actually found out today that my cpu fan is not spinning or if it has I have not heard it (lol) also I seem to have no issues with my mother board if its still a good to use, I would be fine with upgrading to the I7 . Thanks like I said I am learning this thing inside and out.

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
You have motherboard with excellent 12 power phases. You might look into upgrading your cpu to i7 which is a "k" version meaning it has unlocked multiplier and you could get that thing running very high clocks with that motherboard. Look a good deal on either Core i7-4770K or Core i7-4790K dont really matter which one both have 4 core 8 threads and unlocked multiplier.

You get about 150% increase in performance even without overclocking your cpu : https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-i5-4570/2275vs1896
And obviously score increases even more when you oc it 4,5ghz example

Just saves you some years until you have to upgrade motherboard since that looks like really good one going waste if you just update whole system.

I am also wondering if I can fix the fan myself, I actually just got all my front usb ports working

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
yes its either hitting something / dust inside or dying. Still if you want to overclock you need to replace it to something like hyper 212 or better and good thermal paste

so I have it still running and there is nothing in the way. I think though I am gonna just go with a new mother board and processor. i was looking at the ones you recommended, any thoughts on a mother board?

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
The processors i recommended are same socket as your current motherboard. You dont need to upgrade your motherboard. The only problem was that your current processor is i5 meaning it only has 4 cores and 4 threads, and it is a non "k" cpu, so you cant overclock it at all with any motherboard. So upgrading your processor to i7-4770k or i7-4790k would give you higher stock clock speed and you would get 4 cores and 8 threads, which would be huge boost for performance and top of that you could overclock it even higher with this quality mobo.

I suggest i7-4770k if you are interested in trying to overclock and i7-4790k if you want higher stock clock speed without overclocking.

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
The processors i recommended are same socket as your current motherboard. You dont need to upgrade your motherboard. The only problem was that your current processor is i5 meaning it only has 4 cores and 4 threads, and it is a non "k" cpu, so you cant overclock it at all with any motherboard. So upgrading your processor to i7-4770k or i7-4790k would give you higher stock clock speed and you would get 4 cores and 8 threads, which would be huge boost for performance and top of that you could overclock it even higher with this quality mobo.

I suggest i7-4770k if you are interested in trying to overclock and i7-4790k if you want higher stock clock speed without overclocking.

Well then I am gonna get it for sure, I am still new to gaming with pc. I am super glad to hear my MB is OK then. So I guess the I7 will have a new fan. And any thoughts or where to buy this and to get my stock fans changed out as you suggested. Been looking at cases but don't know what to get lol

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
You can buy used cpu to save money, look ebay or similar sites for i7-4770k and i7-4790k just look which one you can get cheaper , looks like some people are selling it as little as 50-75 euros (used). Just read the description well and buy from place which has a guarantee that it is working. If you see in description that processor is delidded, you can still buy it, it can actually be good thing overclocking wise.

If you arent comfortable with changing the cpu yourself you might ask someone you know to do it for you, it takes about 15minutes. You can also use computer repair shop to do it for you for little money since its very easy job, ask them or your friend to use good thermal paste like Nt-h1 or gelid extreme, or whatever good stuff they have.

keep in mind if you do go for any of those CPU's it is recommended that you make sure your motherboard is updated to the latest version of the BIOS available just to make sure it will support it right away. the 4790K may need a later BIOS version because it may be a refreshed version of the 4770K

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
keep in mind if you do go for any of those CPU's it is recommended that you make sure your motherboard is updated to the latest version of the BIOS available just to make sure it will support it right away. the 4790K may need a later BIOS version because it may be a refreshed version of the 4770K

Well I have AS Rock Z87 Extreme4 and I pretty sure the bios is up to date. The one problem I keep having is when I bring up the MB menu utility screen, it freezes on me and then I have to reboot. I have also noticed here recently my rig is off when I come in. So that's why I was thinking MB was bad. And I also thought due to it being so old time to upgrade. But like I said I am learning.

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
You can buy used cpu to save money, look ebay or similar sites for i7-4770k and i7-4790k just look which one you can get cheaper , looks like some people are selling it as little as 50-75 euros (used). Just read the description well and buy from place which has a guarantee that it is working. If you see in description that processor is delidded, you can still buy it, it can actually be good thing overclocking wise.

If you arent comfortable with changing the cpu yourself you might ask someone you know to do it for you, it takes about 15minutes. You can also use computer repair shop to do it for you for little money since its very easy job, ask them or your friend to use good thermal paste like Nt-h1 or gelid extreme, or whatever good stuff they have.

I found this for this price is it close to i7-4790

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
You might be thermal throttling if you get shuttdowns, you need to solve this issue first before getting a new cpu. And obviously you need to get into bios to overclock. If you never heavily overclocked with this motherboard i bet its still working fine and the issue is not hardware related and fixable.

Download hwmonitor and hwinfo and look your graphics card and cpu core temperatures when stress tesing , gaming , keep them backround. If you hit crazy values thermal throttling might be the issue. You need to also update your cooler to atleast hyper 212 look it up, dual fan is even better.

Use msinfo32 method to find out what bios version do you have : https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/checking-bios-version/
Version 3.40 is the latest for this motherboard and version 3.00 is the first version which supports i7-4790k and 4770k
I would however support the latest 3.40 since it adds pcie compatibility.

Read the manual or find it from asrock site to find out how to flash bios,

i7-2600 is sadly LGA 1155 processor which uses different socket. So you need either i7-4790k or i7-4770k for noticable gains.