[SOLVED] Looking to replace motherboard, ram, and cpu.

ItsKieranL

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
I am looking to replace my motherboard, cpu, and ram. I edit clips / create montages on Adobe premiere, and i play a lot of FPS games so a minimum of 144fps is required. I play low settings on everything fps game. This is all to give you a better idea of what i do with the system and what parts may suit better for this. Also i'm not too sure if i will have to upgrade my power supply.

Current specs -
Case - NZXT H500
CPU / Processor - I7 6700k
GPU - RTX 2070 Super
Power supply - cm650x
motherboard - Asrock z270 taichi
CPU cooler - Hyper 212x evo
ram - 2x4 Corsair vengeance LPX 2400 - CMK8GX4M2A2400C14
1x8 Hyper fury - HX424C15FB2/8

Upgrades which i have considered is Ryzen 7 3800x, 16x2 ram 3200, and the motherboard remains unknown at the moment.
If you have suggestions please mention as i am very open to suggestions.

My current budget is 700 pounds, but i may be able to go slightly higher.

Solution
I am looking to replace my motherboard, cpu, and ram. I edit clips / create montages on Adobe premiere, and i play a lot of FPS games so a minimum of 144fps is required. I play low settings on everything fps game. This is all to give you a better idea of what i do with the system and what parts may suit better for this. Also i'm not too sure if i will have to upgrade my power supply.

Current specs -
Case - NZXT H500
GPU - RTX 2070 Super
Power supply - cm650x

Upgrades which i have considered is Ryzen 7 3800x, 16x2 ram 3200, and the motherboard remains unknown...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

Current specs -
Case - NZXT H500
GPU - RTX 2070 Super
Power supply - cm650x

Upgrades which i have considered is Ryzen 7 3800x, 16x2 ram 3200, and the motherboard remains unknown at the moment.

Hi @ItsKieranL

Do you WANT to upgrade your system or just reach higher FPS in-game? I ask because your current system is every nice, with the sole exception of your RAM. Mixing & matching like you are doing could easily be giving you problems as its just not a good idea.

Your z270 supports up to DDR4-3733 and your CPU can "use" faster than 2400, though I'll let another Intel member here verify as I'm on AMD. Regardless, a nice 2x8GB DDR4-3000+ kit would give you very nice performance over the slower and mixed RAM you currently have.

Otherwise, a new system based around the 3800X + Fast RAM WOULD net you a nice boost over your current system if upgrading was a priority vs just faster FPS.

WANT vs NEED :)

Solution

ItsKieranL

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
Hi @ItsKieranL

Do you WANT to upgrade your system or just reach higher FPS in-game? I ask because your current system is every nice, with the sole exception of your RAM. Mixing & matching like you are doing could easily be giving you problems as its just not a good idea.

Your z270 supports up to DDR4-3733 and your CPU can "use" faster than 2400, though I'll let another Intel member here verify as I'm on AMD. Regardless, a nice 2x8GB DDR4-3000+ kit would give you very nice performance over the slower and mixed RAM you currently have.

Otherwise, a new system based around the 3800X + Fast RAM WOULD net you a nice boost over your current system if upgrading was a priority vs just faster FPS.

I'm starting to edit quite often now so i think going AMD and faster ram will help me so much more than sticking with intel that's why i am opting for AMD at the moment.

ItsKieranL

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
Hi @ItsKieranL

I'll just get some new ram and if it doesn't fix my fps issues i'll upgrade my cpu.

Reactions: Mrgr74

Current specs -
Case - NZXT H500
GPU - RTX 2070 Super
Power supply - cm650x

I really don’t get the 144Hz is required, u less you’re doing it professionally it won’t make a difference and if you’re online you need to have the best ping in the lobby because that 0.05 of a second doesn’t really matter if you’re 0.07 behind on ping.
In any case I’d just get more ram, a beefy cooler and make your CPU scream with an OC.