Looking to replace my R7 260x on an MSI 760GMA-P34(FX) motherboard

Sep 12, 2018
So I'm bouncing back and forth with the idea of upgrading my GPU to something better than the R7 260x that I currently have or if I should just build a new computer altogether. My current setup is an MSI 760GMA-P34(FX) motherboard with an FX 6300 processor and 8 GB of RAM and only a 450W PSU which regardless ill have to upgrade. So my questions are should I even waste my time and money upgrading my current PC or should I just start building a new one and can I even upgrade my GPU much more with my current motherboard, as it's not a UEFI BIOS? And if I should upgrade the current setup with a new GPU what are thr recommendations? Thanks for the help!

Solution
If you plan on playing any new games or demanding ones I recommend upgrading your whole platform. You can still use the PSU, case, and drives of course. The AM3 socket is pretty old at this point and even the most high-end FX processors that support your board can bottleneck mid-range cards such as the GTX 1060. If you do upgrade, I recommend Ryzen. AM4 is the king of budget gaming. You can get an R3 2200g 4c/4t for $99. This is miles better than your FX 6300. The CPU also has integrated graphics that are around the level of performance as your 260x. There's also the R5 2600 for fifty more dollars that has 6c/12t, albeit no integrated GPU. A good GPU to pair with these CPUs are either the GTX 1060 and RX 580. If you do plan on keeping...

Gavin Crane PC

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
If you plan on playing any new games or demanding ones I recommend upgrading your whole platform. You can still use the PSU, case, and drives of course. The AM3 socket is pretty old at this point and even the most high-end FX processors that support your board can bottleneck mid-range cards such as the GTX 1060. If you do upgrade, I recommend Ryzen. AM4 is the king of budget gaming. You can get an R3 2200g 4c/4t for $99. This is miles better than your FX 6300. The CPU also has integrated graphics that are around the level of performance as your 260x. There's also the R5 2600 for fifty more dollars that has 6c/12t, albeit no integrated GPU. A good GPU to pair with these CPUs are either the GTX 1060 and RX 580. If you do plan on keeping your current platform, don't upgrade the GPU pass a GTX 1050ti or RX 470

Solution