[SOLVED] Looking to replace storage HDD

Jun 6, 2020
I want to replace my 2TB hdd, used for storage, with a 2TB ssd. I have a 250gb ssd where my OS is installed. I don’t want the data on the old hdd on my new ssd.

Can someone please give me a step by step guide on how I would go about doing this?

Would I need to reinstall my drivers if I had a new clean ssd?

What problems can arise if I replace my old hdd with a new ssd?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
Are we dealing with a laptop or a desktop? Regardless of which platform, always make sure you're on the latest BIOS update prior to doing a storage or ram upgrade.

That being said, what sort of an SDD are you looking at? I'm assuming you're looking to replace a 2.5" HDD with a 2.5" SSD...? If so, just drop in a 2.5" 2TB SSD of your choice into your platform. If the OS is on your smaller capacity SSD, then no, you don't need to reinstall the OS or relevant drivers. Just drop in.

Jun 6, 2020
Are we dealing with a laptop or a desktop? Regardless of which platform, always make sure you're on the latest BIOS update prior to doing a storage or ram upgrade.

That being said, what sort of an SDD are you looking at? I'm assuming you're looking to replace a 2.5" HDD with a 2.5" SSD...? If so, just drop in a 2.5" 2TB SSD of your choice into your platform. If the OS is on your smaller capacity SSD, then no, you don't need to reinstall the OS or relevant drivers. Just drop in.
Do I need to update the BIOS? Could I just try to add in a new drive and if new problems arise then try to update the BIOS?