Looking to return to IT, could use advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

iccanui

Reputable
Feb 7, 2018
Hello, im a former worker in IT. I was WinXP Certified and Win2003 Server Admin . I did the bulk of my work with ISP's either on helpdesk or in field networking, business and residential. i took a break for about 7 years and want to return and wondering where i should start. I do not have a AS/BS, i am also 43.

Where should i start on my path back. A+/Net+ then MS certs ? As of right now my goal is a system admin.

Thank you very much.

Solution
Changing careers is not all that uncommon. Nor is going back per se. One time perhaps....

What work have you been doing in the meantime? Why did you leave IT to begin with?

Have you kept up with IT in general? E.g., Windows 10, Networking, Security, peripherals, and so forth?

Did you take any other non IT classes, courses, either for credit or otherwise?

(The above being Devil's Advocate type questions you can expect. There will be other similar questions....)

Start by looking at the IT "job ads" in your area or wherever you wish to work if a move is viable.

Are you still in meaningful contact with any former co-workers or supervisors? If so, ask them for input and suggestions.

Take a look at the skill sets, education...

Ralston18

Titan
Changing careers is not all that uncommon. Nor is going back per se. One time perhaps....

What work have you been doing in the meantime? Why did you leave IT to begin with?

Have you kept up with IT in general? E.g., Windows 10, Networking, Security, peripherals, and so forth?

Did you take any other non IT classes, courses, either for credit or otherwise?

(The above being Devil's Advocate type questions you can expect. There will be other similar questions....)

Start by looking at the IT "job ads" in your area or wherever you wish to work if a move is viable.

Are you still in meaningful contact with any former co-workers or supervisors? If so, ask them for input and suggestions.

Take a look at the skill sets, education, and experience levels being sought. Certifications may or may not be factor.

Key is to convince a potential IT employer that you are still able to do the work. You may end up on the Helpdesk once more in order to "prove yourself" again.

You, hopefully, will not be judged/deemed as purely "entry level" but still viable enough to be offered an opportunity versus someone with no experience at all.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.