Looking to sell my custom build but need some advices regarding price & where to sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReynierPM

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016
Hi there,

I have been using this custom build for almost a year but now I want to sell it. I will start saying that it works like a charm, it is fully functional at the moment of writing this post and I do not have any complaint.

Without more here is what the PC has:

• ■ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI
    ■ CPU: 6 Core Intel Core i7-5820K
    ■ Memory: 32GB (DDR4 SDRAM)
    ■ Video Card: GeForce GTX 970 (4 GB)
    ■ Storage: HDD 1 TB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II, SSD 750 EVO 250GB, SSD 850 EVO 250GB
    ■ Optical Drive: HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40
    ■ Case: Cooler Master Elite 1st Gen
    ■ Fan Cooler: Cooler Master Liquid Cooling System (http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-liquid-cooler/masterliquid-pro-240/)
    ■ Monitor: Samsung 27" LCD
I am thinking in about $1000 for the whole thing but will be nice if someone can help me with this. As for the selling sites I already know Craiglist (I don't trust at all on this one), Offerup, eBay (I can't sell at that price because is my first sell) and Amazon (I think it will charge me for a seller account even if I don't sell anything, I might be wrong)

PS: I can offer more detailed information if needed, just added the basic in here to get help.

Solution
You can try a WTS ad here on Tom's. Reddit.com/r/hardwareswap is another good place (You can also post for price checks there, or look at other similar parts and what they sold for)

It is often difficult to find someone who will buy the whole thing as is, and shipping a completed computer is a nightmare and costly. You can often get more out of it by parting it out.

For instance, I doubt someone would want to pair that machine up with a GTX970 these days. Best to put that on the market on its own, same with the monitor (and you'll want to provide an exact model of each)

Cases are nearly unsellable except locally, shipping large objects without a bulk deal like the people you bought it from eats into most of the cost. Often cheaper...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You can try a WTS ad here on Tom's. Reddit.com/r/hardwareswap is another good place (You can also post for price checks there, or look at other similar parts and what they sold for)

It is often difficult to find someone who will buy the whole thing as is, and shipping a completed computer is a nightmare and costly. You can often get more out of it by parting it out.

For instance, I doubt someone would want to pair that machine up with a GTX970 these days. Best to put that on the market on its own, same with the monitor (and you'll want to provide an exact model of each)

Cases are nearly unsellable except locally, shipping large objects without a bulk deal like the people you bought it from eats into most of the cost. Often cheaper for people to buy new cases.

32GB of memory is a tough sell, most people don't need that much. Best to take half the kit (if possible) and sell that separately as well.

You can try selling the remaining memory, CPU, and motherboard as a set. CPU coolers usually sell quickly. A lot of people want to get into water cooling but don't want to pay the full price.

Not sure on the drives. I personally wouldn't buy them from people, but I know they command usually very low prices. Considering you can get new drives for not much more.

Solution

ReynierPM

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016

Sorry for my ignorance but what does WTS mean? (I am new to Tom's forum) and I can take a look at the Reddit part even if I don't use it at all.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Want to Buy
Want to Sell
Want to Trade
Also Have/Want listings where people specify currency or payment method.

I've only sold on Reddit once, managed to get rid of about half the stuff I no longer had a use for. I really wasn't after the money so included shipping. Sold some GTX580 for 60$, an HD6670 for $30, etc. Some old all-in-ones, even the mounting parts of a broken one. (This was nearly two years back) I used Paypal for sending out invoices, so protection for both parties.

I've found it a great place to judge what things will go for in private sales and the keep an eye on the used market.

Status
Not open for further replies.