Question Looking to switch out my motherboard without having to lose too many other internal components

May 13, 2020
I am a freelance video editor and since I have recently been working on more demanding projects I've decided to assemble a RAID (Raid 5) mainly for the sake of speeding up my workflow. The only problem is that to be able to fully utilize the benefits of RAID I'd need a thunderbolt 3 port which my motherboard doesn't currently support. Other than that I am happy with all the current internal parts of my pc, so when replacing my motherboard (to save up cost) I'd ideally like to have something that is compatible with as many of my current components as possible. However, I am a bit of an amateur when it comes to understanding how all the internal elements of my pc come together so I would like some advice on the ideal route to go with. Below I've listed all the specs of my current setup that might give some clarity on what I'm dealing with. From what I understand my main issue would be finding a motherboard that has both thunderbolt support and is able to support an AMD Ryzen cpu, which might be a challenge. I am open to doing whatever it takes to upgrade to that thunderbolt but, as mentioned, I'd like to have some advice on what would be the solution that would require the least amount of changes and also I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for motherboards with both thunderbolt and AMD cpu support. Thank you in advance.

My PC:
Windows OS
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 processor
Nvidia GeForce gtx 1070
B350 Tomohawk Motherboard (Supports up to USB 3.1 (5Gbps/s))
48 GB of DDR4 Ram
476 GB Hitachi HP SSD
1.8 TB HDD
Deepcool Kendomen Mid-tower case

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS