[SOLVED] Looking to up my audio game - Suggestions?

Mar 31, 2020
Hi, so I'm looking to upgrade my audio setup and am looking for suggestions. I want to switch to a desk mic and upgrade my headset as well. As far as what I have currently, I'm using a pair of Audio Technica ATH-ADG1x with the Soundblaster E-5. I love the audio quality but have been having issues with the plug (accidentally rolled over the 3.5mm jack oops) and cant replace the cable as its directly connected to the headset. Problem is I don't really know where to start and need a little newbie guidance.

What headset do you guys recommend for headphones good for gaming and listening to music? I love the sound stage and being able to track footsteps on the Audio technicas. I really don't want to lose that.
Also, do i need a Dac and Amp? If so what do you recommend?
As far as desk mics what do you recommend? What do you recommend to interface with a computer?

As for budget I'm willing to spend $250-$500ish on headset and $100-$200 on each of the other things that I'd need.

Lastly thank you for the help! - ColorblindWalrus :)

Solution
D
You posted a link to a Topping D30 which is a DAC. You need to connect it to an amp. It's a good DAC ( I have one paired with an Aune X7S amp ) but the X1S is better. I also have an X1S that I use as a DAC for an SMSL SP200. The X1S has an integrated amp as well but the SP200 is better as an amp.

Here's a comparison list of DAC's:

I'm not familiar with the Headbox DS.

There are literally dozens of combinations of products or single devices that you could use and that are all very very good. The last few years have made it easy to get great sound for relatively cheap. You can get something today for a few hundred dollars that would have cost...
D

Deleted member 217926

The best all around headphones for both gaming and music in my opinion is the AKG K712 Pro. Huge soundstage and micro detail not seen in headphones that cost twice as much. Also one of the more comfortable headphones on the market. Very hard to drive and they need an amp though.

A step down would be the still very good Sennheiser HD599. No need for an amp there.

A step sideways would be the Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro. It has better imaging but the soundstage isn't as big. It costs more. As far as music goes I like some music better on each and both do pretty much any genre very well.

You could go with one of the higher end soundcards like the Asus STX II or the EVGA Nu series. Or you could get a desktop amp/DAC combo like the Aune X1S. Or a separate amp and DAC. Your budget leaves you some play there.

Mar 31, 2020
The best all around headphones for both gaming and music in my opinion is the AKG K712 Pro. Huge soundstage and micro detail not seen in headphones that cost twice as much. Also one of the more comfortable headphones on the market. Very hard to drive and they need an amp though.

A step down would be the still very good Sennheiser HD599. No need for an amp there.

A step sideways would be the Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro. It has better imaging but the soundstage isn't as big. It costs more. As far as music goes I like some music better on each and both do pretty much any genre very well.

You could go with one of the higher end soundcards like the Asus STX II or the EVGA Nu series. Or you could get a desktop amp/DAC combo like the Aune X1S. Or a separate amp and DAC. Your budget leaves you some play there.
For the AKG's would the Head Box DS be a good pairing or would you recommend the Aune X1S over that?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 217926

You posted a link to a Topping D30 which is a DAC. You need to connect it to an amp. It's a good DAC ( I have one paired with an Aune X7S amp ) but the X1S is better. I also have an X1S that I use as a DAC for an SMSL SP200. The X1S has an integrated amp as well but the SP200 is better as an amp.

Here's a comparison list of DAC's:

I'm not familiar with the Headbox DS.

There are literally dozens of combinations of products or single devices that you could use and that are all very very good. The last few years have made it easy to get great sound for relatively cheap. You can get something today for a few hundred dollars that would have cost a few thousand even 7 or 8 years ago for the same quality.

The X1S is just a quality all in one with a DAC section that hits way above the price. The amp is also very good but not as standout as the DAC.

Solution