Question Looking to upgrade but to what?

matt.themcgee

Prominent
Jul 31, 2018
Hi. I'm looking to upgrade my computers graphics card but dont want one so powerful its being held back by other components. My motherboard is a ASUS Z97-A and my CPU is a Core i5-4690k and I have 8GB of DDR3 ram running at ~950MHz. My current Graphics card is an EVGA GTX 960 2GB. Would a 1650 or 1660 be too powerful for this build? Many thanks in advance.

matt.themcgee

Prominent
Jul 31, 2018
My last concern (and sorry if I'm bothering you) is my motherboard being a bit of an older one. Would my Z97-A motherboard support those graphics card? Would it support a 1660 ti? I'm mostly looking for a relatively cheap GPU upgrade to hold me over for about a year or so until I build a whole new computer. I'm trying to look up compatibility and I'm finding stuff that says 16 series isnt compatible but the 20 series is which doesnt quite seem right to me.

My last concern (and sorry if I'm bothering you) is my motherboard being a bit of an older one. Would my Z97-A motherboard support those graphics card? Would it support a 1660 ti? I'm mostly looking for a relatively cheap GPU upgrade to hold me over for about a year or so until I build a whole new computer. I'm trying to look up compatibility and I'm finding stuff that says 16 series isnt compatible but the 20 series is which doesnt quite seem right to me.

I don't know what you're reading, but it's wrong.

Your motherboard will be able to run any GTX 16xx or RTX 20xx GPU. The real issue comes down to if the CPU would become a bottleneck at some point, but that will occur much higher in the GPU food chain (e.g. RTX 2080 or 2080 ti).

matt.themcgee

Prominent
Jul 31, 2018
I don't know what you're reading, but it's wrong.

Your motherboard will be able to run any GTX 16xx or RTX 20xx GPU. The real issue comes down to if the CPU would become a bottleneck at some point, but that will occur much higher in the GPU food chain (e.g. RTX 2080 or 2080 ti).
Thank you very much for all the help it's very much appreciated.