Looking to upgrade CPU and Motherboard

Dillabouskee

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017
Looking to upgrade my CPU and Motherboard, these things are starting to get pretty old and even at the time when I picked them up they were pretty cheap. Not looking to go insanely overboard, budget is around $300-$350. Currently rocking;

Windows 10 64bit
Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0
AMD FX 6100 black edition 3.3GHz
Geforce GTX 970 4GB
Kingston DDR3 Hyperx 1600mhz 8GB
EVGA Supernova 750 G2

Solution
Could still be a tough choice. Right now, at 1080P the top end Intel CPUs are winning in FPS for gaming. However, some AM4 platform updates could close the gap. Thing to remember is this is referring to the $240 to $340 range just for the CPU. The R5 1400 Ryzen is looking to be a nice choice when compared to an i5 7400(around $180) leaked review I just watched on Youtube a short time ago. Supposed to retail for around $170. It's also 4 Core/8 Thread vs 4/4 on Intel in same price bracket. AMD's AM4 platform should come in a bit cheaper than comparable Intel. Either way, you're looking at needing DDR4 if you go either route. None the less, these platforms worked into your budget should be a nice boost in performance. With either...

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Could still be a tough choice. Right now, at 1080P the top end Intel CPUs are winning in FPS for gaming. However, some AM4 platform updates could close the gap. Thing to remember is this is referring to the $240 to $340 range just for the CPU. The R5 1400 Ryzen is looking to be a nice choice when compared to an i5 7400(around $180) leaked review I just watched on Youtube a short time ago. Supposed to retail for around $170. It's also 4 Core/8 Thread vs 4/4 on Intel in same price bracket. AMD's AM4 platform should come in a bit cheaper than comparable Intel. Either way, you're looking at needing DDR4 if you go either route. None the less, these platforms worked into your budget should be a nice boost in performance. With either direction, your 970 would become the bottleneck at that point.

Solution