Question Looking to upgrade CPU/Motherboard

Sep 17, 2020
Hello all,

Currently rocking an intel i5 8600k with an ITX asus motherboard.

Bought a 2060 super and had to upgrade from an ITX case for cooling reasons, now looking to upgrade the CPU/motherboard.

Thinking about upgrading to an AMD RYZEN 7 3700X along with a new motherboard (obviously). Will I have any issues with my current install of Windows and my other hard drives? I currently have windows installed on a samsung SSD and an M.2 drive with a bunch of steam games installed.

Thanks for the help guys

Quanticriver

Reputable
Jul 1, 2017
hello and welcome

as with any mobo swap you NEED to reinstall the windows from scratch
Personally i would'nt upgrade your CPU just yet especially if you are going ryzen as the next gen is on the horizon which is also sure to make prices for previous gen (7 3700x) drop

the i5 8600k is still a very capable cpu

you can leave your steam library on another drive and download the steam client and "point" steam towards the library

Last edited:
Reactions: zachsouza0
Sep 17, 2020
hello and welcome

as with any mobo swap you NEED to reinstall the windows from scratch
Personally i would'nt upgrade your CPU just yet especially if you are going ryzen as the next gen is on the horizon which is also sure the make prices for previous gen (7 3700x) drop

the ik 8600k is still a very capable cpu
one of the only reasons I was considering upgrading was streaming performance. I have my GPU encoding the stream and it performs fine, but I tend to lose frames when playing CPU intensive games like Call of Duty and Rainbow Six Siege.

I also cant overclock the 8600k which i didnt know when I bought it (stupid me lol)

You're probably right though, I appreciate your input.

Mrgr74

Commendable
Hello all,

Currently rocking an intel i5 8600k with an ITX asus motherboard.

Bought a 2060 super and had to upgrade from an ITX case for cooling reasons, now looking to upgrade the CPU/motherboard.

Thinking about upgrading to an AMD RYZEN 7 3700X along with a new motherboard (obviously). Will I have any issues with my current install of Windows and my other hard drives? I currently have windows installed on a samsung SSD and an M.2 drive with a bunch of steam games installed.

Thanks for the help guys
Hi @zachsouza0

The 3700X is a sweet CPU. Any ideas as to what motherboard you want? Select B450's such as the Tomahawk Max is 3K series ready right out of the box and is a fantastic board or an X470 is another option. My primary 2700X is on a TaiChi X470 and has been rock solid these past 2 years.

Depending on the primary use, but If you plan on keeping this PC for the foreseeable future, would suggest you consider a B550 or X570 as it supports newer tech that your 3700X, 2060 or other hardware you may currently have, may be able to take advantage of. Keep in mind that the 3K series like fast RAM, so would again advise you to buy a new kit (16GB minimum of course) if your current RAM is DDR4-3000 or slower. Recently built a system around a 3950X and the 32GB of DDR4-3600 is a sweet spot I've found.

Whats the rest of your hardware look like? Namely the SSD you have, PSU & RAM.

As for Windows. You can install everything and if it detects the new hardware and notifies you that you need to reactivate Windows, try it via the auto-verify in Windows and if it comes back as required, you can contact Microsoft and notify them of the recent hardware change and you may be able to mitigate the license over to the new PC. Keep in mind your PC won't lock up or anything. Youll need to uninstall any drivers and then install new drivers for the new hardware.

Let us know how it goes!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS