Question Looking to upgrade CPU, What motherboard would go best with my setup?

thejiang

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2014
Current specs:

CPU: i7-9700k
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Mobo: ASUS Prime Z390-A
Ram: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400MHz
Cooling: Noctua NH-D15
Cooling Fans: Noctua NF-F12 PWM x2
PSU: Gigabyte P850GM
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500 gb
Chassis: Fractal Design Meshify S2

Was thinking of getting a Ryzen 9 5950x or 5900x
What motherboard would go best this CPU considering my specs?
Thank you!

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Absolutely couldn't recommend that upgrade so far as cost to performance. The RAM you have isn't suitable for a Ryzen 5xxx. When you add up the CPU/mobo/RAM and consider the barely higher performance gain it's going to be expensive for a difference that I almost guarantee you won't realize outside a benchmark result.

IMO if you just have upgrade-itus, look for a 9900K and a suitable cooler.

thejiang

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2014
Absolutely couldn't recommend that upgrade so far as cost to performance. The RAM you have isn't suitable for a Ryzen 5xxx. When you add up the CPU/mobo/RAM and consider the barely higher performance gain it's going to be expensive for a difference that I almost guarantee you won't realize outside a benchmark result.

IMO if you just have upgrade-itus, look for a 9900K and a suitable cooler.

It's mainly for the game I play while streaming, Black Desert Online.
While streaming (or even just in-game during siege), I get alot of stuttering during active movement/play, it's very frustrating. It causes my inputs to always be delayed due to the stutter, which creates alot of misplays due to the stutter.

If I were to upgrade to the Ryzen 5xxx what ram/mobo would you suggest I go for? I was looking at the Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming MOBO. Any suggestions on RAM for this one?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It's mainly for the game I play while streaming, Black Desert Online.
While streaming (or even just in-game during siege), I get alot of stuttering during active movement/play, it's very frustrating. It causes my inputs to always be delayed due to the stutter, which creates alot of misplays due to the stutter.

If I were to upgrade to the Ryzen 5xxx what ram/mobo would you suggest I go for? I was looking at the Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming MOBO. Any suggestions on RAM for this one?

I have no specific recommend but to say that Ryzen likes fast RAM. Check your motherboard QVL as a good start. I have personally had very good results from G Skill with Ryzen, as well as ADATA.

edit- that 9700K rig, memory, mobo are still a valuable bit to reuse or sell. Consider that according to your license you may also need to buy a new Windows key after changing the base components.

I9-9900K would be a easy and relatively cheap upgrade.
You would go from 8 to 16 threads which you need to process streaming and many tasks.

If not now overclocking, you could get some help with an OC on the 9700K

ryzen 59xx would indeed give you a satisfying upgrade.
..... for about two months.....

I would wait to see what Intel Alder lake brings.

thejiang

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2014
I9-9900K would be a easy and relatively cheap upgrade.
You would go from 8 to 16 threads which you need to process streaming and many tasks.

If not now overclocking, you could get some help with an OC on the 9700K

ryzen 59xx would indeed give you a satisfying upgrade.
..... for about two months.....

I would wait to see what Intel Alder lake brings.
What do you think of the i9-12900k vs the ryzen 5900x?