Question Looking to upgrade from a 1080 to something more current

g-unit1111

Titan
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Sometime in the next month or so

BUDGET RANGE: I would say max $500 but can be a bit flexible

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Rendering, editing, working with large presentation and CAD/CAM files

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080, Corsair RM 750X (2021 model)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
PSU: Corsair RM750X (2021 model)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (upgraded from Ryzen 5 2600)
RAM: 32GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 (upgraded from 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000)
CPU Cooler: Cryorig C5
SSD 1: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (upgraded from 250GB Samsung 970 Evo)
SSD2: Samsung 1TB 860 Evo
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, Amazon, and I live in Southern California and have access to the Orange County Micro Center

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: California, USA

PARTS PREFERENCES:
I would prefer NVIDIA but if the AMD cards are better, I will consider them.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Dual 1920 x 1080 monitors, but looking to upgrade to 4K or 1440P

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I have been making moderate upgrades to my system to extend its' useful lifespan and I'm looking to finish it with a new graphics card upgrade. Now that graphics cards are coming back in stock, I am looking to make a purchase hopefully sooner rather than later. I am looking for a midrange card, something like a 3060TI / 3070 or a Radeon 6700X / 6800X. I need a card with at least 2 HDMI ports, but if that's not possible I will have to buy DP cables. Are there any cards that I should watch out for or cards I should avoid?

I may also swap out the Cryorig cooler for a CLL at some point, but that's not a necessary purchase at the moment.

Reactions: KyaraM

g-unit1111

Titan
Since there's no gaming involved how about an RTX 3060 12GB?

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboard...F-Gaming/TUF-RTX3060-O12G-V2-GAMING/techspec/
Interface:
Yes x 2 (Native HDMI 2.1)
Yes x 3 (Native DisplayPort 1.4a)
HDCP Support Yes (2.3)

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Graphics-DisplayPort-Military-Grade-Certification/dp/B0985VND1G/
ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 V2 OC Edition 12GB Graphics Card $459.99

Yeah that's kind of along the lines of what I am looking for. I'll definitely research that one further.

Reactions: Why_Me

KyaraM

Admirable
The GTX 1080 can only manage playable FPS on 1080p Ultra Settings, crank up to 1440p and you get 20–25 FPS which is not great and a 'nice' 10–12 FPS on Max Settings. Everything tested with High crowd density and in Night City area which is the most heaviest of all areas.
That's... not really what TC asked? Like, at all. Gaming isn't even mentioned... and the 1080 is the current card, not the possible new one.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Sometime in the next month or so

BUDGET RANGE: I would say max $500 but can be a bit flexible

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Rendering, editing, working with large presentation and CAD/CAM files

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080, Corsair RM 750X (2021 model)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
PSU: Corsair RM750X (2021 model)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (upgraded from Ryzen 5 2600)
RAM: 32GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 (upgraded from 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000)
CPU Cooler: Cryorig C5
SSD 1: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (upgraded from 250GB Samsung 970 Evo)
SSD2: Samsung 1TB 860 Evo
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, Amazon, and I live in Southern California and have access to the Orange County Micro Center

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: California, USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: I would prefer NVIDIA but if the AMD cards are better, I will consider them.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Dual 1920 x 1080 monitors, but looking to upgrade to 4K or 1440P

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I have been making moderate upgrades to my system to extend its' useful lifespan and I'm looking to finish it with a new graphics card upgrade. Now that graphics cards are coming back in stock, I am looking to make a purchase hopefully sooner rather than later. I am looking for a midrange card, something like a 3060TI / 3070 or a Radeon 6700X / 6800X. I need a card with at least 2 HDMI ports, but if that's not possible I will have to buy DP cables. Are there any cards that I should watch out for or cards I should avoid?

I may also swap out the Cryorig cooler for a CLL at some point, but that's not a necessary purchase at the moment.
Considering what you are doing, I would get the 3060 linked above, honestly, it looks like a good card. Probably not gonna get something better at that price point anyways, except maybe a 3060Ti. If you find one in your price range, go for it, so far I found little actual differences between expensive and cheap models of the same GPU honestly. Cheaper ones can usually be tuned of their performance is too low for you. Also, prices are dropping, so maybe by the end od the month you might even get a lower-end 3070 for that mone. Would maybe wait and see a week or two longer. About the HDMI ports, is there a reason outside of missing DP cables? If that's the only reason, you can get a new cable as you mentioned, or grab an adapter for a bit less money.

Reactions: Why_Me

g-unit1111

Titan
Also, prices are dropping, so maybe by the end od the month you might even get a lower-end 3070 for that mone. Would maybe wait and see a week or two longer. About the HDMI ports, is there a reason outside of missing DP cables? If that's the only reason, you can get a new cable as you mentioned, or grab an adapter for a bit less money.

Yeah this isn't a gaming machine, I definitely have another system just for that purpose (which has a 3080 on it).

I'm by no means in a hurry. But I do want to get a good one while they're in stock before the 4000 series comes out and screws up the market again. I'm waiting to see what happens with GPU prices. If I can get the one I want in stock I'll definitely make a move toward purchasing it if I can get a better GPU at a lower cost. I'll probably wind up replacing the older monitor anyways at some point.

TRENDING THREADS