Looking to upgrade from an i5 7500 to a i5 8600k. Need help.

joshuagopaul1

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
As of right now, the performance of my games are pretty unsatisfactory for the most part. Some of my friends are running games better than I am with parts that could be considered lesser than mine. I am looking for a good CPU to balance my EVGA 1060 6gb because right now I am noticing high cpu use with low gpu percentage; around 90% cpu and around 10% gpu. Is this a bottleneck, and will this upgrade make sense at all?

The games I play are pretty much any AAA title and games like Rainbow Six Siege and more.

My system:
MOBO: MSI B250M
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
CPU: Intel i5-7500
RAM: 1 stick of 8gb DDR4 at 2400mhz. Another stick is currently on the way.
PSU: Corsair 650W gold

Also, will my mobo support this cpu with overclocking? I am only looking to game in 1080p 144hz.

Thank you all in advance for the help.

Solution
I would start with the second stick of ram giving you dual channel and 16GB. After that see how it compares to your friends.
You are always going to have high CPU usage when running 1080p resolution. Will an upgrade help? Yes, but its not going to be a big jump. 8-20 FPS depending on the game.

You will need a new motherboard. Your RAM will work but 3200mhz would be better for what you want to,achieve.

Your CPU meets the recommended system requirements for Rainbow 6 Siege and it should be able to handle the game. There may be a different issue than your CPU. Run a bench at userbenchmark.com and leave a link here with the results.

If you do go for an upgrade, I don't think the 8600k is your best option because you will need a new motherboard for that chip. I would look for a 7700 as it will drop into your current motherboard and will have near identical performance as a 8600k. You may be able to find a used 7700 for a decent price.

I saw some used 7700 CPUs on ebay that are priced around $250. That will be a lot cheaper than an 8600k + a Z370 motherboard.

joshuagopaul1

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
I’d still like to overclock though. I’m having problems in games such as Escape from Tarkov, Hunt: Showdown a couple other titles. Hunt showdown is a new game that my friend can run with a 1050 and i can’t run it with a 1060, barely even getting above 40-50 FPS hence why i suspected bottleneck. What else other than cpu can I do if that’s not the case?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Check in windows. Run the game, then open task manager and check the clock speed its running at. Download Coretemp and check how hot the cpu gets when running a game.

Double check your monitor is plugged into the graphics card and not the motherboard.