[SOLVED] Looking to upgrade from HD7900

MongooseEC

Prominent
Dec 18, 2020
Hi folks

I have a setup, which has served me well for a number of years for casual gaming & Netflix but is now showing her age

Current setup:

AMD Radeon HD7900 series
Intel Core i5 - 4670K 3.4GHz
Motherboard: MSI - MS 7845
RAM: 8GB
Monitor: Dell U2414 60Hz, 1080p (1920x1200)
Corsair SSD 128GB

Mainly play things like Warhammer Total War II, CoH2, Pathfinder Kingmaker, Battlefield 1, XCOM2 but have started to play newer titles this year such as Gears tactics, SWBattlefront and Hell Let Loose. My CPU meets min. requirements for these games but the GPU does not.

Considering I do not wish to upgrade my monitor, RAM or CPU at this stage, which GPU will allow me to play these at good/OK graphics setting, while not being overkill and a waste of cash

Based in UK and mainly shop off Amazon. Neither preference for NVIDIA or AMD

Thanks

Solution
GPU prices, even on old stock arent that good right now. There's just a shortage all around causing prices to be elevated. At one time the RX570 ($125) and RX580 8GB ($150) would be a cheap go to recommendation. But their prices have gone up as they are out of production. The 5600XT 6B is too much price wise in my humble opinion. But here is my general ranking from cheapest to pretty good for a 1200p gaming card

I bought a RX580 as a replacement for my HD7970 and it was over twice as fast. And it's still quite capable on modern games.

Prices below are suggestions only. And you might have to scour eBay or use camel camel camel to find them at this price. Like I said, everything is in short supply right now.

$150 - RX570
$ 200...
GPU prices, even on old stock arent that good right now. There's just a shortage all around causing prices to be elevated. At one time the RX570 ($125) and RX580 8GB ($150) would be a cheap go to recommendation. But their prices have gone up as they are out of production. The 5600XT 6B is too much price wise in my humble opinion. But here is my general ranking from cheapest to pretty good for a 1200p gaming card

I bought a RX580 as a replacement for my HD7970 and it was over twice as fast. And it's still quite capable on modern games.

Prices below are suggestions only. And you might have to scour eBay or use camel camel camel to find them at this price. Like I said, everything is in short supply right now.

$150 - RX570
$ 200 - RX580
$ 270 - 1660Ti or 5600XT (IF you can get your hands on one)
$ 400 - 3060Ti (IF you can get your hands on one and really overkill but will be future proof with that monitor for some time.)

Last edited:
Solution

MongooseEC

Prominent
Dec 18, 2020
Hi. Resurrecting this thread like a necromancer again 1.5 years later. I put off upgrading my gpu until now as gpus are more available and much cheaper.

I want to buy the best gpu that I can without upgrading to a new processor. Which gpu would be best considering the cpu bottleneck? 1660ti overkill?

Thanks