[SOLVED] Looking to upgrade from i7-5820k to Ryzen 7 3800x

DDSquare

Prominent
Mar 18, 2019
I'm wondering if its worth the upgrade from the 5820 to the 3800 or even the 3900. I currently have a 2080 graphic card and play at 1440p.

My current system:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qYgmhM

Looking at these two combos from Newegg:
Then they also have the same components but with a 3900x

The 3800x combo is $910 and the 3900x combo is $980.

Is it this worth it to go from the 5820 to either one of these combos? Thanks for any input!

Solution
I'd say the answer depends on the reasons why you seek to upgrade. What games do you play, and what do you get for frame rates; any low rate spikes? (my guess is you don't) If you just want new gear, I'd wait till the end of the year when Zen 3 comes out.

Here is my pitch why you should hold on to your system:

I also have a similar system I built recently with Asus X99 Strix Gaming, i7 6850k, Teamgroup 32GB 3200, and 1070 ti Founders. Part of the appeal of the x99 system is that years down the road Xeons which were worth thousands can be had for a song. These processors are no single core performance champions, but it is awesome to have a platform that can support over 20 cores in a single socket! Even today it is possible to find...

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I'd say the answer depends on the reasons why you seek to upgrade. What games do you play, and what do you get for frame rates; any low rate spikes? (my guess is you don't) If you just want new gear, I'd wait till the end of the year when Zen 3 comes out.

Here is my pitch why you should hold on to your system:

I also have a similar system I built recently with Asus X99 Strix Gaming, i7 6850k, Teamgroup 32GB 3200, and 1070 ti Founders. Part of the appeal of the x99 system is that years down the road Xeons which were worth thousands can be had for a song. These processors are no single core performance champions, but it is awesome to have a platform that can support over 20 cores in a single socket! Even today it is possible to find top non-xeon 10 core i7 6950x for under $500 ($1800 when released).

In my office I am running X99's predecessor - X58 machine which had been upgraded several years ago to X5670 six core xeon, 12GB RAM and Intel SSD drive ($250 for all 3 parts!). That machine was built in 2009 with 3GB RAM and i7 920! I am sure if I was to overclock it and stick a 2060 video it will do great.

As games will be progressively more reliant on more cores and less so on single core performance, I anticipate X99 platform to be a value champion in the years to come.

Solution
I would agree that the best option is to always hold out as long as possible with buying new tech. If you are to the point that current gaming is not enjoyable due to a lack of wanted FPS or you are looking to get into streaming then I would say upgrading will bring you some performance gains for sure. Is it going to give you enough gain to be economical, I don’t think so at this time.