[SOLVED] Looking to upgrade from my 1060 3gb.. Any recommendations?

SO I built a new pc about 4 months ago or so.

My gpu is great but I need a bit more performance to hit the fps I want to hit in Apex Legends and a couple other games.

Im looking to have a stable 120fps at 1080p at low/med settings in Apex Legends. As of right now I drop down to around 70fps in some areas on all low. (but this is only since their latest map released which is more gpu dependent). My cpu will only be at 50% usage while the gpu will be at 97-98% usage during these fps drops, however the vram usage is only 2.1gb of the 3gb so I dont know why I cant raise my settings. I even have an Overlock on the GPU and it still drops to 70fps, but I digress.

Im not sure what would be a worthwhile upgrade vs price point so Im asking for some recommendations.

Also dont know wether Ill need a bigger psu, so let me know about that as well and if I will, please include the new psu and overall price in your recommendation.

pc specs are in my signature

Last edited:
Psu, a good known quality 600w psu will do.

1070 is equivalent to a 980Ti and 1080 similar performance to a 2060. Check where the 980Ti and 2060 are placed in those graphs.

Well I definately dont have 800$ to spend on even the regular 1080 lol. https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-...r_1_2?keywords=gtx+1080&qid=1570683393&sr=8-2

my budget, along with a new psu, would be about 400-450$

Also Im only looking to play on low settings, not high, as I see the graphs are representing ( I dont see where it shows any data for low/competative settings)

Im on phone and Amazon defaults any of their links to Au.

Im buying from the USA.

Also I was looking at some other graphs for 1080p and cards for Apex.

This photo shows the 1660ti has 40 more avg fps than the 1060 founders at the medium setting. https://www.pcmag.com/image_popup/0,1740,iid=623304,00.asp

Wouldnt that get me to where Im looking to get at low settings if they did the medium preset and had 126 avg fps?

or is that not accounting for drops below 90fps?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
1660ti does very well. Even though Apex Legends below is benchmarked in 1440p, it's frame rate isn't far behind the 2060 and minimum not so bad, it'll be obviously higher in 1080p.