[SOLVED] Looking to upgrade GPU, will my current CPU suffice?

Apr 18, 2020
So I have been toying with the idea of getting a new GPU, namely a gigabyte 2070 super gaming OC edition. I currently have an i5 6600k overclocked to 4.4 GHz. I know that CPU/GPU pairing is important but I have not been up to date with PC parts since I built/upgraded my current build. So my question is will my 6600k be able to support a 2070 super?

Solution
It will work. A big question is what resolution is the monitor and the rest of the pc spec? The old quad core/thread i5’s do struggle in modern cpu heavy games. So depending on the game and what gpu you have now you could already be cpu limited. If you are already cpu limited you won’t get noticeable gains in FPS by going with a new gpu but you could run higher detail settings.
It will work. A big question is what resolution is the monitor and the rest of the pc spec? The old quad core/thread i5’s do struggle in modern cpu heavy games. So depending on the game and what gpu you have now you could already be cpu limited. If you are already cpu limited you won’t get noticeable gains in FPS by going with a new gpu but you could run higher detail settings.

Reactions: NotCamo
Solution
Apr 18, 2020
Alright that sounds good. I'm trying to avoid doing another MoBo/CPU upgrade again which is why I asked in the first place. My motherboard has the revison 1 LGA 1151 socket (can't do the latest Intel processors), and if I'm going to upgrade my CPU I will most likely want to get whatever the latest at the time. I don't want to settle on an older generation if I stick with Intel. I will most likely get a nicer GPU and take that down the line with me a while longer and then do the MoBo/CPU upgrade. Sorry if I rambled there haha. Anyways, thank you for the super quick responses, means a lot! :)

Reactions: sizzling