[SOLVED] Looking to upgrade GPU

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
Im looking to upgrade my GPU, i currently have a GTX 1060 6gb card, and it really struggles to keep up, for instance assassins creed valhalla at 1080p and most settings lowered alot runs about 50fps, immortals fenyx rising is much the same, im not looking to play games over 1080p at the moment, but id like to get somewhat decent FPS in newer games like the above mentioned and things like godfall, my budget is around £200 ish, im looking mostly at the 1660 super so far but am unsure. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Im looking to upgrade my GPU, i currently have a GTX 1060 6gb card, and it really struggles to keep up, for instance assassins creed valhalla at 1080p and most settings lowered alot runs about 50fps, immortals fenyx rising is much the same, im not looking to play games over 1080p at the moment, but id like to get somewhat decent FPS in newer games like the above mentioned and things like godfall, my budget is around £200 ish, im looking mostly at the 1660 super so far but am unsure. Thanks in advance.
1080p60, 1660 Super is a great choice. For more than that id say RTX 2060
1080p60, 1660 Super is a great choice. For more than that id say RTX 2060

Solution
The problem might not be your GPU.What are your complete pc specs including make/model of your powersupply

My RAM is 16gb corsair vengance iirc, i cant remember its clock speed i dont think i have it running at its maximum speed as it was causing instability.
can you post full motherboard name,and full ram name,with links possibly?
Im sorry if im being annoying i just want to best performance for u without spending any money.Its easy to buy a new gpu,but the point is to get away with the problems the easiest and cheapest way.

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
can you post full motherboard name,and full ram name,with links possibly?
Im sorry if im being annoying i just want to best performance for u without spending any money.Its easy to buy a new gpu,but the point is to get away with the problems the easiest and cheapest way.
The motherboard is a b450 gaming plus running a ryzen 5 2600 the RAM is 16gb running at 1500 its DDR4
Linked to the mobo and ram below. Ram is underclocked as stated as i wasnt sure how to stop it crashing / bsod at its reccomended speed.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-GAMING-PLUS

The motherboard is a b450 gaming plus running a ryzen 5 2600 the RAM is 16gb running at 1500 its DDR4
Linked to the mobo and ram below. Ram is underclocked as stated as i wasnt sure how to stop it crashing / bsod at its reccomended speed.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-GAMING-PLUS
WOW,only 1500?!?!?! i thought the minimum was like 2133mhz.Anyhow,go into ur bios,turn on XMP profile and see what speeds u can get,trust me it will be very noticable going from 1500mhz to 3000mhz.Good luck!
Here is a guide if u dont know how to turn on XMP :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Vyrtlb840

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
WOW,only 1500?!?!?! i thought the minimum was like 2133mhz.Anyhow,go into ur bios,turn on XMP profile and see what speeds u can get,trust me it will be very noticable going from 1500mhz to 3000mhz.Good luck!
I just did that, put the clock up to 3000, i cant say im seeing too much of a difference so far, for instance immortals fenyx rising is still dipping down to the low 50's "i completely understand that this isnt actually considered that bad"

Just watched a test with the same specs as yours.Same FPS as you reported,around 50.Shame you cant get to 60,i honestly thought the ram was the main problem as it ussually is with these ryzen system,but it seems the hardware just cant keep up with valhalla.So,new gpu it is.

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
Just watched a test with the same specs as yours.Same FPS as you reported,around 50.Shame you cant get to 60,i honestly thought the ram was the main problem as it ussually is with these ryzen system,but it seems the hardware just cant keep up with valhalla.So,new gpu it is.
Budget? Preferences? i can help with the choice
My budget would likely be between £200 and £300, my current thoughts would be a 1660 super, but im not sure how long that would be able to keep up and if it would keep up with things like valhalla, fenyx and godfall.

My budget would likely be between £200 and £300, my current thoughts would be a 1660 super, but im not sure how long that would be able to keep up and if it would keep up with things like valhalla, fenyx and godfall.
Sry for editing posts,kinda sleepy.Look,1660 super will get you 1080p 60fps in Valhalla,but in 2-3 years ur gonna have to upgrade again,that is the main problem.

I don't know why it does that, but even mine shows 1500 even though it's running at 3000. My friend's runs at 2133 and shows 1066

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
I don't know why it does that, but even mine shows 1500 even though it's running at 3000. My friend's runs at 2133 and shows 1066
Id imagine its due to the DDR "double data rate" showing at 1500 but clocked at 3000

For Godfall i think u can get away with 1660 super and 2600 on all low.Jesus that game is something else in terms of how demanding it is
Thats kinda how i thought it would be, godfall is hella demanding i might just wait to play that on ps5. Looking around a cheap rtx card might be a better choice but im not sure there are any low budget ones better than the 1660.

Id imagine its due to the DDR "double data rate" showing at 1500 but clocked at 3000

Thats kinda how i thought it would be, godfall is hella demanding i might just wait to play that on ps5. Looking around a cheap rtx card might be a better choice but im not sure there are any low budget ones better than the 1660.
the only low budget rtx that is worth buying now is 3060Ti,and its around 400$.