Looking to upgrade GPU

Mystical_Chicken

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade soon or towards the end of the year. Just in case people want to know my specs...
My current system specs are:

Current Card Gainward Gtx 260 GS
CPU Intel E8500
PSU Corsair TX 750W
Mobo Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3R
Memory Geil 2x2gig 1333 DDR3
Vista 64bit

My other specs I think are irrelevant. So, im looking at a price range of about... AU$250 - AU$350 and a fair performance boost from my current Gtx 260. I've been looking around at the Gtx 275 and Radeon 4890 but I'm not sure if I'm going to notice a difference between those cards and my current one. And anything above those is getting a little pricey for a 16 year old on a Mcdonalds wage...

Would really appreciate the help guys.

GTX 260 is a good card already. any further upgrade will start to be bottleneck by your CPU (correct me if i'm wrong)
btw i don't think there will be much jump in performance if you switch to 275/4890. maybe you can overclock your CPU and GPU to gain more performance instead of upgrading your GPU. if i were you i will hold onto GTX260 and wait for dx11 cards comes out (if you want big jump in performance).

Mystical_Chicken

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009

Thanks! that's just the advice I was looking for. (Off the topic) do you know how long till dx11 cards come out?

I thought that the ATI 5000 series aren't too far off, though I don't know if there is an official speculation yet (others would know, I'm sure). No idea on the NVidias though.

magicbullet

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
agree with renz that 260 is a good card. infact, i think it is a great card for the price. I disagree the fact that 8500 is gonna be bottlenecking. 8500 is 3.16ghz and quite a bit of potential for OZ.
you wont really gain anything much by just upgrading one step ahead to 275 either.

WTH is 260 GS? they still use that?

You're better off using the money to get an SLI boarde and adding another GTX260 than in upgrading to a GTX275.

We'll probably see some DX11 cards around the end of September. November would be the latest but I think AMD will get the mid range $200-$300 cards out at the end of September with the X2 card out in October.