Looking to Upgrade GPU's, Will my CPU Bottleneck it?

MagusALL

Honorable
May 24, 2013
Ok so right now I have an i7-3770k OC'd to 4.2Ghz and SLI MSI GTX 780's with 3Gb of memory. I want to get some more power into my system because I plan to upgrade my monitor soon. So I have been looking to SLI a pair of MSI 980ti's with 6Gb in the GAMING variant with the TwinFrozrV design.

Right now I am gaming on a single 1920x1200p monitor by Samsung but would really like to pick up a G-Sync monitor, hopefully in the 120-144hz range, and am looking at 3440x1440 resolution monitors or 4K with G-Sync. I'm not even certain that there is the 3440x1440 extrawide monitor with G-Sync on the market yet but I feel for a single monitor setup that size would be ideal and would look great for gaming. I just don't know if SLI 3Gb GPU's will be able to handle those resolutions with only 3Gb of VRAM which is the biggest reason I want to get 6Gb. IT doubles my memory and also is just a flat out better setup.

So my issue lies with the CPU, chipset and the rest of the system. The Intel i7 has never given me a single problem. It is attached to an MSI Z77A-GD55 motherboard and has 16Gb of G. Skill RipjawsX RAM at 1600 XMP. I just don't want to pull the trigger on two of those GPU's to discover I need a better CPU or if any other factor was creating a bottleneck for the two SLI 980ti's. I was told the SLI 780's were fine with my 3770k but since it is now twice the VRAM and a faster GPU I wanted to make sure I do it right.

Thanks for all the input and information ahead of time. Rock on.

FYI: 120gb SSD for OS, 250gb SSD for games, RAID10 with four WD blues and a solid Corsair PSU.

Solution
As a G-sync 144hz/780ti user (1080p/4K DSR) I do love high hz/fps and will recommend you keep your 2X 780's since there are some nice but pricey monitors coming out soon. Both are ultra-wide curved G-sync high hz/IPS like panels. Let's not forget on the GPU side that Pascal the next architecture from NVidia comes out next year which is why I say wait for that.

First Recommendation: ACER Predator 200hz (144hz OC'd). 2560x1080 requires a little more than 2k rendering and your fps/hz will remain high at this resolution. Currently priced @ $1200 and seems to be a bit curvier than the next choice.

2nd: ASUS ROG 100hz @ 3440×1440. Requires a little more than 3k rendering and is currently the highest resolution and highest hz at that...

NormH

Distinguished
your i7 will be fine in most cases but it will become the weakest part of your rig and be the next desired upgrade.

i really prefer 1 solid single card vs two lower grade cards though.... the 980ti alone should be able to do what you need.

JUICEhunter

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
As a G-sync 144hz/780ti user (1080p/4K DSR) I do love high hz/fps and will recommend you keep your 2X 780's since there are some nice but pricey monitors coming out soon. Both are ultra-wide curved G-sync high hz/IPS like panels. Let's not forget on the GPU side that Pascal the next architecture from NVidia comes out next year which is why I say wait for that.

First Recommendation: ACER Predator 200hz (144hz OC'd). 2560x1080 requires a little more than 2k rendering and your fps/hz will remain high at this resolution. Currently priced @ $1200 and seems to be a bit curvier than the next choice.

2nd: ASUS ROG 100hz @ 3440×1440. Requires a little more than 3k rendering and is currently the highest resolution and highest hz at that resolution at the moment. Currently not priced. I feel like your minimum FPS/settings will be lower at this resolution and you'd be better off killing it at the lower but still taxing resolution.

3gb and your cpu is fine for now because you want high fps to get high hz so you're not going to be on ultra on those taxing games, I use high settings on taxing games which still looks great, allows high fps which is what G-sync needs to shine.

Solution

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

your system would have no issue as long as the power supply is up to the task of powering everything.

sli is basically required with current gpu's for 4k and even then you will probably need to turn down settings.

MagusALL

Honorable
May 24, 2013
I always attempt to turn setting all the way to maximum across the board but I've been gaming at 1200p with SLI 780's so it never became an issue plus I enabled V-Sync whenever available. I see monitors are changing a lot right now so I'm going to wait it out. I didn't even know NVidia had a new architecture coming out in 2016. So I guess I will just stay with this monitor until the one I want comes out and will stick with my SLI GTX 780's until the new architecture drops. Thanks for the detailed input I appreciate it greatly.