[SOLVED] Looking to Upgrade my 250GB SSD Drive. 100% gaming PC, need help

gameoverman2016

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
Hi all

I currently have 3 hard drives,

250Gb Samsung 840(the boot drive and 1 or 2 games)
Seagate FireCuda hybrid SSHD(steam games
An old 1TB Hatchisomething that I keep my shadowplay recordings or anything I download non game related on.

I end up having to reformat every 5 or 6 month as the C drive gets full fast, even with porting documents to the 2tb drive.

What is a good 1 or 2 TB SSD Drive I can use to replace my 840evo?

Also are the m2 drives worth it? I have to remove my gpu, and water cooler to gain access to it(mobo is a Z390HD) so I am thinking a SSD would be better to save me the hassle of taking it apart

Thanks

Solution
Hi all

An old 1TB Hatchisomething that I keep my shadowplay recordings or anything I download non game related on.

I end up having to reformat every 5 or 6 month as the C drive gets full fast, even with porting documents to the 2tb drive.

Also are the m2 drives worth it? I have to remove my gpu, and water cooler to gain access to it(mobo is a Z390HD) so I am thinking a SSD would be better to save me the hassle of taking it apart

Thanks

Funny story here, I recently ordered a second ssd for my rig. I ordered the same drive as I have...
Hi all

Thanks
M.2 drives are nice because they are out of the way and are the newer technology. Most applications cannot take advantage of the added speed of NVMe, but a lot of new SSDs are only coming that way and the price difference between buget/mainstream NVMe and mainstream SATA is almost nil. Budget SSDs don't have DRAM caching so they are cheaper, but they don't have the same performance especially when they are fuller. Here are SSDs, 1 Mainstream SATA & 1 buget NVMe, they are the same price. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/h3tQzy/crucial-mx500-1tb-25-solid-state-drive-ct1000mx500ssd1
Here is the SN550 1TB review from tomshardware, it includes both drives I have mentioned here to see absolute performance. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/wd-blue-sn550-m2-nvme-ssd-review-best-dramless-ssd-yet/2 Basically the SN550 is always faster than one of the best SATA SSDs, but it is the same price. At that point it isn't worth while to go the SATA route.

At the 2TB capacity there is at least some difference in price between mainstream SATA and mainstream NVMe.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Mt...25-2000000rpm-internal-hard-drive-wds200t2b0a

Reactions: gameoverman2016

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi all

Thanks

Hi @gameoverman2016

"Worth it" is entirely up to the individual but in my own ignorant opinion, Yes an m.2 drive is worth it if your mobo supports it.

A few generic HDD - SSD - M.2 Speed videos: 1, 2 & 3

What mobo do you currently have?

A few ideas:
WD Blue 1TB M.2
Samsung 1TB M.2
Samsung 2TB M.2

Money Waster:
Fast & Damn Expensive

Let us know what you end up getting! :)

gameoverman2016

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
Hi @gameoverman2016

"Worth it" is entirely up to the individual but in my own ignorant opinion, Yes an m.2 drive is worth it if your mobo supports it.

A few generic HDD - SSD - M.2 Speed videos: 1, 2 & 3

What mobo do you currently have?

A few ideas:
WD Blue 1TB M.2
Samsung 1TB M.2
Samsung 2TB M.2

Money Waster:
Fast & Damn Expensive

Let us know what you end up getting! :)

I have a Gigabyte 390UD mobo, but I am not really looking for a m2, because I have to gut everything out of my pc to gain access to the pci slot the m2 drive would go, since my gpu and water cooler cover it. My 840 performs well for me, its just small. If I can find a SSD that performs as good as the Samsung 840 Evo, but in a 1TB or 2RB size, I would be set.

Last edited:
Hi all

Thanks

Not sure why you would need to format the drive to get space, just delete what you don't need off it.

If you don't want to mess with the system to get to the M.2 slot, just get a newer Samsung SSD and replace yours, not a very hard swap to do, you can stick the other drive in a USB enclosure for backups or to use as a network drive on a router USB port if you have one of those.

Not sure why you would need to format the drive to get space, just delete what you don't need off it.

If you don't want to mess with the system to get to the M.2 slot, just get a newer Samsung SSD and replace yours, not a very hard swap to do, you can stick the other drive in a USB enclosure for backups or to use as a network drive on a router USB port if you have one of those.
The price of an 860 Evo is so outrageous ($150 for 1TB) that they don't make any sense. Sure it might be the fastest SATA SSD, but the difference in performance between it and a MX500 is negligible especially when the MX500 is $115, or only $5 more than the slower QLC based QVO. There are plenty of quality SSDs out there now that are far less expensive and make more sense than the Samsung. The only way that Samsung will ever drop their prices to become back in the realm of reality, is if people realize that this isn't 2014 anymore and there are good drives by other manufacturers and stop buying the Samsung drive.

gameoverman2016

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
The price of an 860 Evo is so outrageous ($150 for 1TB) that they don't make any sense. Sure it might be the fastest SATA SSD, but the difference in performance between it and a MX500 is negligible especially when the MX500 is $115, or only $5 more than the slower QLC based QVO. There are plenty of quality SSDs out there now that are far less expensive and make more sense than the Samsung. The only way that Samsung will ever drop their prices to become back in the realm of reality, is if people realize that this isn't 2014 anymore and there are good drives by other manufacturers and stop buying the Samsung drive.

I like Samsung because nothing I ever bought by Samsung ever was a doa or died unexpected. Samsung, Gigabyte and EVGA have been my best luck with hardware. MSI and ASUS I've had the words worst luck with their stuff.

So I stick to what I know works.

@hang-the-9 My pc is strictly a gaming pc, I got a 2nd one for all non gaming stuff. I am a huge Ark Survival Nut case, and my 250GB HDD isnt enough for my Windows 10 and that 1 game with all its dlcs So I am looking for a bigger SSD I LOVE the speed of the 840 evo, I dont need the fastest, just a bigger drive that has speed of the SSD.

Thanks again for the input guys, It helped alot!

Hi all

Thanks

Funny story here, I recently ordered a second ssd for my rig. I ordered the same drive as I have for my boot/main files drive, the 860 evo. The boot drive is 250gb, but I ordered a 500gb version for games and such.

They ended up sending me a 1TB 860 QVO instead of the 500gb EVO.

I did some research and its only slightly slower than the EVO, like by a very small amount, not even noticeable to human perception. The only downfall would be is if I do a lot of large file moving, as the QVO is a quad cell. But for gaming it makes no differance at all.

Ive even moved games from 1 drive to the other to see if I could notice, and I cannot.

With that said, the 1TB 860 qvo is GREAT for gaming storage or just gaming in general. I ended up just keeping the drive as it was like 100$ drive and I got it for 65$ lol.

So I would suggest something like the 860 qvo.

Solution

gameoverman2016

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
Funny story here, I recently ordered a second ssd for my rig. I ordered the same drive as I have for my boot/main files drive, the 860 evo. The boot drive is 250gb, but I ordered a 500gb version for games and such.

They ended up sending me a 1TB 860 QVO instead of the 500gb EVO.

I did some research and its only slightly slower than the EVO, like by a very small amount, not even noticeable to human perception. The only downfall would be is if I do a lot of large file moving, as the QVO is a quad cell. But for gaming it makes no differance at all.

Ive even moved games from 1 drive to the other to see if I could notice, and I cannot.

With that said, the 1TB 860 qvo is GREAT for gaming storage or just gaming in general. I ended up just keeping the drive as it was like 100$ drive and I got it for 65$ lol.

So I would suggest something like the 860 qvo.

Awesome Score! yeah That helps me finalize my decision. Thanks again

Reactions: Jason H.