[SOLVED] Looking to upgrade my CPU and could use some recommendations

kw3130

Prominent
Jul 26, 2019
Hi guys! This is my first thread, so thanks in advance for the help! I built my first PC a little over a year and a half ago. Recently, I've been playing games, like The Witcher 3, and I noticed that my CPU usage was anywhere from 70-100% while playing. I don't know much about PC components, but I'm assuming that isn't a good sign. If anyone could give my some upgrade recommendations for my CPU, or any other parts while we're at it, I would really appreciate it! I have included my PCPartPicker link below.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MV8NfH

Solution
How high of a framerate are you getting? I ask because if your getting a good experience at decent framerates I wouldn't worry about upgrading unless you want more and can afford it. with that motherboard you could go as far as i5 9400. but with a 1060 6gb I'm not sure it would make sense to go past that.
edit: I meant 9600k, I just woke up brain isn't working fully.
Aug 2, 2019
How high of a framerate are you getting? I ask because if your getting a good experience at decent framerates I wouldn't worry about upgrading unless you want more and can afford it. with that motherboard you could go as far as i5 9400. but with a 1060 6gb I'm not sure it would make sense to go past that.

Reactions: kw3130
Solution

kw3130

Prominent
Jul 26, 2019

I think that the framerate is capped at 60 in the default settings and I haven't changed it from that. So I do generally get 60fps with the graphics on high. However, every once and a while it feels like the FPS dips a little. Thanks for the advice! I was just worried that hitting 100% CPU usage might be bad for the system or potentially cause some heat issues.

One follow up question: when you say that the 9600k is the best that I could use on my motherboard, is that because "better" CPUs are not compatible? Sorry if that's a dumb question.