[SOLVED] Looking to upgrade my cpu and gpu

Nathan_116

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017
(Before I start I just want to mention that im not crazy good with computers so please bare with me) I had built my first and only pc back in summer of 2017, everything went as planned, but as it gets older, it gets harder and harder to run these new games at the settings I'd like. Right now Ive got a Nvidia gtx 1070 and a i5-6600k. Is it dumb to only upgrade one of them? Or should I just upgrade them both at the same time, or does it not even matter? Also, are there any things I need to keep an eye out for in terms of compatibility with any of my other parts? I forgot the little things that I did learn 3 years ago, having trouble remembering lol. Finally, any reccomendations on what to upgrade to? I'd prefer to stick with Nvidia and Intel but, if theres a good reason to switch please tell me. If you need anymore info please feel free to ask. Thanks!

Solution
A GTX1070 is very capable still and should have no issues with max settings @1080p, however, for higher resolutions it can be limiting.

I would look to upgrade your CPU first as the 4 threads are very limiting to performance in modern games and can cause stutter.
A GTX1070 is very capable still and should have no issues with max settings @1080p, however, for higher resolutions it can be limiting.

I would look to upgrade your CPU first as the 4 threads are very limiting to performance in modern games and can cause stutter.

Solution
Looks like 4.5GHz @ 1.3V is pretty commonly achievable (set CPU all core turbo multiplier to 45, and adjust "voltage offset" until you hit 1.3V under load).

That would give you a 20% performance boost assuming your board isn't/ wasn't factory set to enable MCE.

I noticed you didn't say what mobo you have?