Looking to Upgrade My CPU

sunwers

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017
Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU and I wanted to check on the steps I need to take to do this. This will be my first time at upgrading a CPU. I have upgraded memory, added external and internal hard drives, and also replaced OS with no problems. But I know CPU's are going to be a little more complicated. I went to Toshiba's website to try and chat with support to see what all I needed to look into doing and if my laptop's CPU could be upgraded to a higher CPU but all I could find was support to this forum. Below is the information about my laptop, please let me know if you need any other information to help me with the steps in upgrading my CPU. I have a Toshiba Satellite S55t-A5389 Intel core i7 laptop and I'm looking to upgrade to a Intel core i7 generation 8. Started out with OS windows 8 but upgraded to windows 10.

I just copied and pasted the specs from my manual. Warranty is already way past so it is no longer under warranty.

Processor / Chipset
CPU - Intel Core i7 (4th Gen) 4700MQ / 2.4 GHz
Max Turbo Speed - 3.4 GHz
Number of Cores - Quad-Core
Cache - 6 MB
64-bit Computing
Chipset Type - Mobile Intel HM86 Express
Features - Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0

Cache Memory
Installed Size - 6 MB

Memory
Max Supported Size - 16 GB
Technology - DDR3L SDRAM
Speed - 1600 MHz
Slots Qty - 2
Empty Slots - 0

Storage
Interface - Serial ATA-300
Optical Drive - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM fixed
Read Speed - 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD)
Write Speed - 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD±R) / 6x (DVD±R DL)
Rewrite Speed - 16x (CD) / 6x (DVD-RW) / 8x (DVD+RW) / 5x (DVD-RAM)

RAM
Memory Speed -1600 MHz
Configuration Features - 2 x 4 GB
Technology - DDR3L SDRAM
Installed Size - 8 GB

Environmental Parameters
Humidity Range Operating - 20 - 90% (non-condensing)

Display
LCD Backlight Technology - LED backlight
Resolution - 1366 x 768 (HD)
Widescreen Display - Yes
Image Aspect Ratio - 16:9
Monitor Features - TruBrite
Type - LED
Touchscreen - yes (multi-touch)
Diagonal Size (metric) - 39.6 cm
Display Resolution Abbreviation - HD

Audio & Video
Graphics Processor - Intel HD Graphics
Integrated Webcam - Yes
Sound - Harman/kardon stereo speakers, microphone

Hard Drive
Spindle Speed - 5400 rpm
Type - HDD
Capacity - 750 GB

Input
Type - keyboard, touchpad
Features - One Touch Function Keys, multi-touch touchpad

Communications
Wireless Protocol - 802.11b/g/n
Wired Protocol - Gigabit Ethernet

Optical Storage
Drive Type - DVD SuperMulti
Type - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM
Form Factor - fixed

Processor
CPU Type - Core i7
Processor Number - i7-4700MQ
Generation - 4
Manufacturer - Intel
Clock Speed - 2.4 GHz

Card Reader
Type - card reader
Supported Flash Memory - MultiMediaCard, SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, SDXC Memory Card

Battery
Capacity - 43 Wh
Cells - 4-cell
Technology - lithium ion
Run Time (Up To) - 3.75 sec

AC Adapter
Input - AC 120/230 V (50/60 Hz)
Output - 90 Watt, 19 V, 4.74 A

Connections & Expansion
Interfaces - VGA, HDMI, Microphone input, Headphone output, 2 x USB 3.0, USB 2.0, LAN
Memory Card Reader - Yes (SD Card, MultiMediaCard, SDHC Card, SDXC Card)

Header
Brand - Toshiba
Product Line -Toshiba Satellite
Model - S55t-A5389
Country Kits -United States
Packaged Quantity - 1
Compatibility - PC

Miscellaneous
Color - black (keyboard), ice silver in brushed aluminum
Features - USB Sleep-and-charge ports, security lock slot (cable lock sold separately)
Compliant Standards - RoHS
Included Accessories - power adapter

Networking
Data Link Protocol - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n
Compliant Standards - Wi-Fi CERTIFIED

System
Notebook Type - notebook
Platform - Windows
Hard Drive Capacity - 750 GB

Monitor
Diagonal Size - 15.6 in

Dimensions & Weight
Width - 14.9 in
Depth - 9.6 in
Height - 1.2 in

Manufacturer Warranty
Type - 1 year warranty

Audio Output
Compliant Standards - DTS Studio Sound

Mainboard
Chipset Type - Mobile Intel HM86 Express

Environmental Standards
ENERGY STAR Certified - Yes

Physical Characteristics
Weight - 5.71 lbs

Power
Min Operating Temperature - 41 °F
Max Operating Temperature - 95 °F

Operating System / Software
OS Provided: Type - Windows 8 (upgraded to Windows 10)
Type - Adobe Reader, DTS Studio Sound, Toshiba HDD Protection, Toshiba Hardware Setup Utility, Toshiba Maintenance Utility, Toshiba Media Player, Toshiba Password Utility, Toshiba Recovery DiskCreator, Toshiba Resolution+, Toshiba Service Station, Toshiba Sleep Utility, Toshiba Start, Microsoft Internet Explorer 10, Toshiba Video Player, WildTangent Game Console, Microsoft Office 365 (30 days trial), Norton Anti-Theft (30 days trial), Norton Internet Security (30 days subscription), Toshiba App Place, Toshiba Book Place, Toshiba Disc Creator, Toshiba Eco Utility

Video Output
Graphics Processor - Intel HD Graphics
Graphics Processor Series - Intel HD Graphics

Notebook Camera
Integrated Webcam - Yes

Input Device
Numeric Keypad - Yes

Service & Support
Type - 1 year warranty

Service & Support Details
Type - limited warranty
Full Contract Period - 1 year

General
Manufacturer - Toshiba

Thank you in advance and any help would be appreciated.

-Veronica

Solution
ram is memory as in the above pic. You shouldnt mix memory sticks, you may have probs. If youre buying this

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/SunWers/media/cGF0aDovQ2FwdHVyZTFfMS5qcGc=/?ref= get 2 of them

Or if the ram that you've got now is 8GB buy another identical 8 GB sodimm exactly the same

That ssd should work fine. If it were that cheap here I would buy it myself lol

sunwers

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

Hi Paul NZ,

I was afraid of that.. so would there be any use in upgrading to a compatible CPU or would it be just as cheap to buy another laptop?

Thank you for your fast response. I was thinking it couldn't be upgraded to the gen 8 but wasn't completely sure.

Thanks again,
Veronica

sunwers

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

My laptop just doesn't seem to work as fast as it use to. I haven't added any memory to it... maybe this is what I need to do? It just seems to be lagging a lot lately and I thought maybe an upgraded CPU would help.

sunwers

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

Ok I will try adding 2 8GB sticks. I love working with PC's so I was also just looking for a new project that would also help the lag with my computer but wasn't sure if it could be done. Thanks so much for your help.

sunwers

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

I thought about that but how would I go about doing that, going from HDD to SSD?

Remove the hdd buy an sdd, reinstall Windows.

If it's activated now it should activate after you reinstall windows

You can use the mediacreation tool get the ISO, then either burn it or use rufus and extract it to a flash drive

Then boot from it

Tool

Rufus

If you use rufus and if this laptop has a UEFI BIOS select GPT before you add the ISO. if it doesnt select MBR then add the ISO

If you want anything on the hdd thats on it now (bookmarks, docs, contacts), copy it to a flash drive (except programs) first. Before you remove the hdd

But not the flash drive you use for rufus. Because it'll format it before it puts the windows install on it

sunwers

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

Here is what is running in my startup. In your opinion what would you do? Only thing I do with my laptop is watch movies, I'm also in the process of learning to code so I use Visual Studio Code, and I also use Adobe Illustrator quite a bit with work.

sunwers

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

I think I will add 2 8GB sticks of memory and also change over from HDD to SSD. What would be your suggestion for a SSD to purchase for my Toshiba laptop? I have an Amazon card that I just got for Christmas so I thought about trying to purchase one through there.

Looks good to me. Is the ram that you've got the same brand/speed??

If the laptop supports dual channel, it'd be better if both sticks are identical

The ssd should be faster than the hdd. But since the laptop only supports sata 2 and the ssd is sata 3, it will still be faster, but not as fast as sata 3

sunwers

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

Sorry... I'm a little confused about which one you mean. RAM, is that the hdd? Here is the info on both to make sure I'm getting what you were asking about. If I'm looking at it right the memory sticks are the same speed as the new ones I'm looking at but they are a different brand.

How can I tell if they are both dual channel. Both of them have DDR3L...

So it is OK to get the SSD 3?

Thanks,
Veronica

ram is memory as in the above pic. You shouldnt mix memory sticks, you may have probs. If youre buying this

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/SunWers/media/cGF0aDovQ2FwdHVyZTFfMS5qcGc=/?ref= get 2 of them

Or if the ram that you've got now is 8GB buy another identical 8 GB sodimm exactly the same

That ssd should work fine. If it were that cheap here I would buy it myself lol

Solution

TRENDING THREADS