• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Looking to upgrade my current ancient gaming rig...

und3rtaker

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
So I haven't really put any funding into my gaming rig for a good while because i never did have a steady job. So whatever I had went in the way of bills etc...

Anyhow, I got forced to change GPU this weekend as my previous Sapphire HD 6950 randomly died on me (and gave my room a nice burning smell). I went from that to R7 270 Dual-X. A slight ugprade but a very welcomed one.

As already stated, its a gaming build so thats what compoments would be doing 90% of the time. So here's what I have currently (here you'll see why anything will be an upgrade for me)

CPU:Intel Core 2 Quad 8300
Motherboard: ASUS P5KR
Ram: 2x sticks of Kingston4GB and 2x Sticks of G.Skill 4GB (DDR2)
HDD: WD Scorpio 500GB 7200RPM
GPU: AMD Radeon R7 270 Dual - X (very recently upgraded).
PSU: Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze
Chassis: Thermaltake Overseer RX-I

Now what im looking to upgrade into isnt a high end PC. i dont want an i7 with a 1080 titan. I just need a decent rig to get a stable game performance. A budget pc gaming rig one might say.

In terms of CPU i was thinking maybe something something i5 or Ryzen 5. But i guess i5 is more of a sure shot. Motherboard, no idea since i need to decide about new socket first. Ram will probably need upgrading to something motherboard supports, most likely 8gigs in total. HDD i dont plan onm changing. GPU JUST got changed to a semi-midrange GPU. Needless to say PSU, Chasis and OS are staying.

That sums it up! Looking for any suggestions and corrections on anything I just wrote! <3

ritvarsdavis

Notable
Sep 11, 2017
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($178.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B360M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($65.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($91.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $336.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-06 20:05 EDT-0400

A bit over the budget, but well worth it, imho. With an i3 8100 it's about $270 but with this i5 you get 6 physical cores which is better for gaming.