Looking to Upgrade my current system -- ~$800 budget

Abraham_Lincoln

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Hey all --

I'm considering an upgrade on my custom built rig a friend helped me build a couple of years ago, but being newer to custom builds I'm not exactly sure where to start the upgrade process. My budget is ~$800, plus any money I could get from selling the old part(s) on ebay/craigslist/etc. I'd really like to move towards a 1440p display and a graphics card to match. Not sure if I need a GTX 980 Ti or not for that kind of resolution. Thanks in advance for any help! Listed below are the specs of the computer:

Approximate Purchase Date: Sometime in the next 1-6 months

Budget Range: ~$800 + any money made from selling old parts (estimation of part worth would be useful as well). Could upgrade a single or multiple components.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming>Multimedia>Internet

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon or Newegg, although I will consider other sites if they are noticeably cheaper with good reputations.

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Prefer NVIDIA

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Not currently, but yes if recommended

Current Monitor Resolution: Currently 1920x1080, but would like to eventually upgrade to 1440p.

CPU: Intel(R) Core i7-2700K CPU 3.5Ghz (3.9Ghz Turbo)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 Liquid CPU Cooler
GPU: ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16 GB (4x4GB) DDR3 SDRAM 2133 (PCE 17000)
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Crossfire Ready
Motherboard:ASROCK Z77 Extreme4
Storage: 2x OCZ Agility 3 120GB Internal SSD
External Storage: Seagate 3TB External USB Drive
Case: Cougar Evolution Black SECC ATX FUll Tower Case
Monitors: ASUS VS248H and a Samsung B350 Series T24B350ND (this monitor irritates me slightly, mostly because it's slightly different from the VS248H)
Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Chroma and Razer DeathAdder Chroma (considering picking up the Logitech G502 and replacing the DeathAdder chroma as part of a separate purchase).

Solution
Honestly, your current CPU still isn't all that bad, but a mild overclock wouldn't hurt. I would get a new PSU, as yours is a bit dated. An Evga B2/GS/G2 series 850w would work, and then a GTX 980ti, for graphics.