epicevan

Honorable
Feb 10, 2017
I'm not considering a new build altogether because my other components (Psu, SSD’s and case) are just fine. my motherboard has had some problems though some of the back ports are blown out and some power issues.. ps Not an expert at computers. I don't even know why my CPU is worse than the ryzen 7 3700

Gpu: 1060 6gb
Cpu: Fx-8350
Mb:GA-990FXA-UD3

For ram I decided on: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wD...-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c19d-16gsxkb 16gb 3600mhz
I literally spent the last two days on Versus.com going over things and slowly but surely losing my mind.

So, I'm looking for help. budget maximum is $1000
I don't play many AAA games I just want my computer to be quieter playing things like Doom, Soulcalibur, Overwatch, warframe,,,Well having a multitude of Background tasks open(firefox, discord, steam…) Which I think is possible on this budget. (tell me if not)

The ryzen 7 3700x seems like the best CPU bang for Buck
and for gpu Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 5600 XT but pc-builds.com Says those two would bottleneck.

I have no idea whatsoever for motherboard all I know is I'm a cheapskate at heart so I want to get a cheap x570 so I don't have to replace it in the future. I think I'm gonna make another post asking about B550's too. I've had my current parts for over 3 years. And don't worry about the PSU I got a 80+ b quiet 800 Watt really cheap $120

Forgot to say, thanks for reading!

Reactions: KaomHeart254
Solution
Thanks for reading and taking time.
be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W ATX 12V 80 Plus Platinum Modular Power Supply – Silent Wings 3 Fan
just got it in 2017 Around Christmas time. newegg
That's is fine, no problem with that one.

For some reason I can't find your parts on versus.com. Mb and GPU

Although I couldn't find the GPU you recommended I found Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super WindForce OC 3X and it looks to be 30% faster than Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 5600 XT But with more noise, +$300 and 50% increase in Watts.
of course this was an $200 upgraded version of the one you suggested.
I like your ram advice as it's a solid upgrade for $20

The RTX 2060 Super is about as fast as the 2070, so if you can find one of...

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Can give you an AMD and an Intel system. I'm gonna take your word that storage,case and psu are good. For pure gaming is the Intel the best,

Intel,

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600KF 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor ($277.50 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($51.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 AORUS ELITE ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($189.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE 2X Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $999.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-13 14:10 EDT-0400

AMD,

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($274.49 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($51.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE 2X Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $996.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-13 14:10 EDT-0400

I would really like to know what series that Bequiet psu is.

What gpu you in the end add is up to you. This one could be done with your budget. Maybe if you take that RX 5600 XT you have some money left for quieter case fans since that quietness seems important.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'm not considering a new build altogether because my other components (Psu, SSD’s and case) are just fine. my motherboard has had some problems though some of the back ports are blown out and some power issues.. ps Not an expert at computers. I don't even know why my CPU is worse than the ryzen 7 3700

The FX-8350 is far, far worse than the Ryzen 7 3700. I wouldn't buy an FX-8350 over any Ryzen. The whole FX line was a disappointing 2012 platform. By the time AMD finally got Ryzen released, just barely in time to keep from FX from sinking the whole company, Intel was releasing i3s that had 40-50% more instructions per cycle. The FX cores were just very, very slow. The slow cores (but lots of them) meant that the FX chips had a couple of years to be decent-ish budget workstations, but by 2015 or so, the scenario in which you wanted to be running one was either you already had it, or someone gave it to you for free.

It's part of the reason why the reversal of fortune, with AMD the most recommendable CPUs and Intel on the ropes in this segment of the market, was so stunning in its speed and magnitude.

The ryzen 7 3700x seems like the best CPU bang for Buck
and for gpu Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 5600 XT but pc-builds.com Says those two would bottleneck.

I have no idea whatsoever for motherboard all I know is I'm a cheapskate at heart so I want to get a cheap x570 so I don't have to replace it in the future. I think I'm gonna make another post asking about B550's too. I've had my current parts for over 3 years. And don't worry about the PSU I got a 80+ b quiet 800 Watt really cheap $120

Bottleneck estimators are just about worthless. The 3700x is competitive with any consumer CPU today -- though Intel still has a slight edge at the very top end -- so if the 3700x bottlenecked a 5600 XT, anything would bottleneck a 5600 XT.

What is the use case for this PC? What are you using it for? The 3700x is a very good CPU, but if you're just playing games, you're probably not getting enough of a value to upgrade from a 3600 and if you're a heavy productivity user, there's a case for going straight to a 3900x.

Reactions: epicevan

epicevan

Honorable
Feb 10, 2017
Can give you an AMD and an Intel system. I'm gonna take your word that storage,case and psu are good. For pure gaming is the Intel the best,

I would really like to know what series that Bequiet psu is.

What gpu you in the end add is up to you. This one could be done with your budget. Maybe if you take that RX 5600 XT you have some money left for quieter case fans since that quietness seems important.

be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W ATX 12V 80 Plus Platinum Modular Power Supply – Silent Wings 3 Fan

Although I couldn't find the GPU you recommended I found Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super WindForce OC 3X and it looks to be 30% faster than Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 5600 XT But with more noise, +$300 and 50% increase in Watts.

do you know how big 2 gb of ram is performance wise?
do certain GPU's perform better on newer motherboards?
You said Intel is best for pure gaming what about background tasks?

If I'm asking too many questions just ignore me! :D
I'd always heard that AMD was cheaper then Intel and would last longer I also know nothing about their motherboards or CPUs series That's why I didn't consider them.

you're right quietness is important too me i'm not willing to spend more on it, but i'm willing to take performance hits.

Last edited:

epicevan

Honorable
Feb 10, 2017
The FX-8350 is far, far worse than the Ryzen 7 3700. I wouldn't buy an FX-8350 over any Ryzen. The whole FX line was a disappointing 2012 platform. By the time AMD finally got Ryzen released, just barely in time to keep from FX from sinking the whole company, Intel was releasing i3s that had 40-50% more instructions per cycle. The FX cores were just very, very slow. The slow cores (but lots of them) meant that the FX chips had a couple of years to be decent-ish budget workstations, but by 2015 or so, the scenario in which you wanted to be running one was either you already had it, or someone gave it to you for free.

It's part of the reason why the reversal of fortune, with AMD the most recommendable CPUs and Intel on the ropes in this segment of the market, was so stunning in its speed and magnitude.

Bottleneck estimators are just about worthless. The 3700x is competitive with any consumer CPU today -- though Intel still has a slight edge at the very top end -- so if the 3700x bottlenecked a 5600 XT, anything would bottleneck a 5600 XT.

What is the use case for this PC? What are you using it for? The 3700x is a very good CPU, but if you're just playing games, you're probably not getting enough of a value to upgrade from a 3600 and if you're a heavy productivity user, there's a case for going straight to a 3900x.
Thanks for reading and taking time!

So, the FX cores are slow, but their raw speed is 4ghz? Are they just not as efficient or was that only at Max I can see that at idle my FX runs between 2.30 and 2.80Ghz And not close to advertised base Clock.
Do instructions equal efficiency or power?

Use case is just games and being quiet while doing it. I don't foresee using it as a work station

it was saying that the 5600 XT Bottle-necked The 3700x.
I picked the 3700x over the 3600x because it takes less watts and I figured it would be faster at idle.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thanks for reading and taking time!

So, the FX cores are slow, but their raw speed is 4ghz? Are they just not as efficient or was that only at Max I can see that at idle my FX runs between 2.30 and 2.80Ghz And not close to advertised base Clock.
Do instructions equal efficiency or power?

Use case is just games and being quiet while doing it. I don't foresee using it as a work station

it was saying that the 5600 XT Bottle-necked The 3700x.
I picked the 3700x over the 3600x because it takes less watts and I figured it would be faster at idle.

Clock rate is only meaningful when comparing CPUs of the same architecture.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
That's is fine, no problem with that one.

The RTX 2060 Super is about as fast as the 2070, so if you can find one of those for less is it a good choice too and if you want something cheaper like that RX 5600 XT you mentioned is that fine of course. Just use a gpu that is good enough for your purposes and fits into your budget.

Yeah ram was better imo, got the good speed with lower latencies. Don't know if it's worth $20 extra,l but maybe at the site you are looking for are there other options with the same speed and lower latencies.

do you know how big 2 gb of ram is performance wise?
The difference in ram might only affect when you play really high res and details in certain games.

No each gpu of the same type, like two RTX 2060S, should perform about equal on a same motherboard. Not taking into account overclocking of course. Shouldn't matter if they are AMD or Intel.

You said Intel is best for pure gaming what about background tasks?[/QUOTE
The cpu i suggested has 6 cores/12threads so don't think will be harmed by any background tasks. If you are worried could you of course choose the Ryzen 3700X which has more cores and threads (2cores/4threads). The Ryzen is still better in productivity tasks and that might even be influenced by which program is used.
The Intel is from what i've read pretty easy to overclock which is it's strength. Alot of games till favor the clockspeed (intructions per clock as explained by DSzymborski) why this is the better gaming cpu right now.
Still the Ryzen will perform well.

If I'm asking too many questions just ignore me! :D
That's alright.😉

I'd always heard that AMD was cheaper then Intel and would last longer I also know nothing about their motherboards or CPUs series That's why I didn't consider them.
They are pretty neck to neck at this moment, AMD with Ryzen pretty much forced Intel to come with their 10.000 series which are pretty good again. Looking at prices do they go pretty neck to neck again, but for productivity is Ryzen still the better choice. Whether that has any effect on background tasks i'm not certain of. And if the Ryzen will last longer because of the extra cores/threads is hard to say as well.

you're right quietness is important too me i'm not willing to spend more on it, but i'm willing to take performance hits.
Like i said, if taking abit lesser gpu can give you the chance to get some really quiet fans in your case, assuming they are not the quietest ones, could you choose for that.

The RX 5600 XT or similar from Nvidia (like RTX 2060 ) will still give good performance, even at 1440p. Might be that in some games you would want to lower details to get at 60 fps (@1440p).

Somewhere in between are there also the RX 5700(XT)/RTX 2060S versions. Might well be that a RX 5700 would be a good choice for you within budget.

All the options,
Choose A Video Card - PCPartPicker
Chose that RTX 2070 because it has the same price as the cheapest RTX 2060 Super here.

See that versus.com compares prices so can't say much about what they show or not. What country are you in? If US should the pcpartpicker work fine for you and you can chnage country at the right top so other countries are available as well.

Solution

epicevan

Honorable
Feb 10, 2017

No each gpu of the same type, like two RTX 2060S, should perform about equal on a same motherboard. Not taking into account overclocking of course. Shouldn't matter if they are AMD or Intel.
do you mind going into higher detail on this? or maybe link an article or video that would explain it?

Thanks! I appreciate you answering my questions!