[SOLVED] Looking to upgrade my PC, need some insight!

moe2o56

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU in the near future probably around black Friday for a good deal. I'm undecided on what exactly to do and would like some incite from some other people. I put this system together around fall of 2017 and recently upgraded my monitor and video card within the last few months. I mainly game on it and that's it sole purpose.

So my initial thoughts was to upgrade the CPU to a 3900x and keep the same motherboard for now since I upgraded the bios to run the 3rd gen ryzen chips and at some point upgrade the motherboard.

But then I was thinking I could go the Intel route and get a Intel CPU and motherboard even though I've never build a Intel CPU and I have always build AMD....

I'm a huge Battlefield guy and just so annoyed with all the bugs and stuttering going on in BFV and the constant fps drops I'm getting now from like 140-45 when I spawn and so many random stuttering while playing. I know most of that is on EA/Dice's end not my pc but still....

Currently gaming at 3440x1440p

Current Build:
Windows 10 Home
AMD RYZEN 7 1800X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.0 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4
ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero AM4 AMD X370 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
CORSAIR HXi Series HX1200i 1200W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular
EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra Gaming 11GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card
Alienware - AW3418DW 34.14" IPS LED UltraWide HD G-SYNC Monitor

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Are you on the latest Windows 10 Build? Build 1903 was designed to better optimize for Ryzen processors.
You can go to the settings gear icon and then "Update & Security". After you are on the latest build, make sure your Windows 10 power plan is set to High Performance.

Also please describe the power supply cable(s) that you have running to the RTX 2080 ti. Does one end of the cable plug into the power supply, then the other end of the cables have two plugs? If so you have to get another one of those cables and run two dedicated cables to your graphcics card.

moe2o56

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Get a 3700x or a 3800x - better than Intel's best and much cheaper to boot.

Ya that sounds good, I'll probably wait until black friday to get a good deal on something!

The CPU upgrade would be a good choice and honestly, your better off waiting anyways as there's still been issues with the BIOS updates on the older motherboards.

I updated my bios to the 7003 like almost a month ago but I just checked on their site and it looks like there is another bios update available for it, 7106 released on July 5th.

moe2o56

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Reactions: WildCard999

WildCard999

Titan
The 1800x is still an amazing processor. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't upgrade anything and would wait until 4th gen Ryzen comes out next year. This upgrade will have the most performance impact on your system for the money. It will be the last generation of processors that can be used on the AM4 platform.
You're not wrong, however the 1800X has a big problem: as soon as more than 2 cores are used, it leaves its boost state - making it much slower than any Ryzen from later generations in many cases. So while it may still be a great chip for stuff like rendering or video editing, gaming or office stuff will actually go faster on even a 2600X.
Edit: typo on CPU name.

Last edited:
You're not wrong, however the 3800X has a big problem: as soon as more than 2 cores are used, it leaves its boost state - making it much slower than any Ryzen from later generations in many cases. So while it may still be a great chip for stuff like rendering or video editing, gaming or office stuff will actually go faster on even a 2600X.
I think you mistyped and meant 1800x. All core overclocking will solve the boost issue you speak of. Even then most people wouldn't be in a position to notice this difference, especially at ultrawide resolutions. Triple A gaming titles like Metro Exodus hammer the graphics card so hard that at 3440x1440p ultrawide resolutions his system will be GPU bound so the 3rd gen performance upgrade will most likely not be utilized, and may very well go unnoticed. In his use case, the performance increase for the money will be better justified with 4th gen.

Last edited:
Reactions: moe2o56

WildCard999

Titan
Not to mention the power delivery on his motherboard. That thing is a tank and will most likely drive any future 4th gen processor at next years release.
It is but there has been trouble with BIOS updates for quite a few of the older boards. Seen some such as Asus and MSI pull BIOS updates due to issues which makes me a bit concerned about 4th gen compatibility but maybe it will end up working out fine. I have the B450F and they've pulled two BIOS updates for it since may.

Reactions: DMAN999
It is but there has been trouble with BIOS updates for quite a few of the older boards. Seen some such as Asus and MSI pull BIOS updates due to issues which makes me a bit concerned about 4th gen compatibility but maybe it will end up working out fine. I have the B450F and they've pulled two BIOS updates for it since may.
Anything is possible, including a stable bios update for his 370x. By the time 4th gen releases, the 3000 series processors will have dropped significantly in price and could very well be the "fall back" alternative. Just another reason to wait as far as i'm concerned.

Bios updates could be pulled for any reason and doesn't mean another update won't be released after to revise the one pulled. Lower end boards that don't have great power delivery may not get the bios update because the manufacturer knows a R9 3900x paired with a a320 board is not reasonable. Check out Science Studio he actually tried this and it worked, so there's a good chance a high end x370 would be supported. If you watch Buildzoid's reviews on the x370/x470 Asus Crossair motherboards, you'll often hear that channel state the power delivery is overkill and I think part of that is for future gen high core count Ryzen support.

moe2o56

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Overclocking the 1800X should help with the dips and may last long enough for 4th gen which I think will be the last gen before AMD moves onto a different socket.

Any good tutorials on overclocking my 1800x? I've attempted it a few times and I can never seem to get it stable...?

Thanks for the input guys I totally agree it would be the better option to keep my motherboard and go amd at some point if I wait til the 4th gen or even the 3950 if it goes on sale after it's release later this year. Or once it comes out the 3800 or 3900 might drop considerably.

WildCard999

Titan
Any good tutorials on overclocking my 1800x? I've attempted it a few times and I can never seem to get it stable...?

Thanks for the input guys I totally agree it would be the better option to keep my motherboard and go amd at some point if I wait til the 4th gen or even the 3950 if it goes on sale after it's release later this year. Or once it comes out the 3800 or 3900 might drop considerably.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclocking-amd-ryzen,5011-6.html

moe2o56

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I'll have to tweak those numbers when home from vacation, just got down to Florida today. So I won't be home til the 28th.

So back from vacation and tweaked the numbers and overclocked it. Now I'm still seeing stuttering in bfv so I loaded up the task manager and saw while in game my cpu is up at 99% usage and the GPU is averaging between 50-70%, also dips into the 40's sometimes, so I'm assuming that's bottlenecking my 2080Ti? Cause the CPU usage is maxed and shouldn't the GPU be maxed at 99% to get full usage out of it for FPS?

Last edited:

moe2o56

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Set your graphical settings back to default and see if the issue replicates. What resolution and refresh rate is your monitor?

My graphics settings are set at High with a few settings at low and all of the post processing stuff is off as well. I was only getting about 80-90 fps..... My Dell 34" ultra-wide is 144Hz.