[SOLVED] Looking to upgrade my PC, would really appreciate your opinions.

ibrahimasghar

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
Hello everyone.

I'm looking to upgrade my PC soon and would really appreciate your input.

My current PC specs:

CPU: Core i7 4770 @ 3.4 GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z87
GPU: MSI GTX 1080 8G
RAM: 16 GB

I'm looking to upgrade my motherboard and CPU, for now i'll keep the GPU, i understand since my current motherboard only supports DDR3 RAM so i will have to change RAM as well.

Specs i want to get:

CPU: Core i9 9900K (although i never overclock my CPU)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: MSI GTX 1080 8G

Do you guys think this build will be future proof for next 3-4 years? I may upgrade my GPU later on but for now no.

I would really appreciate your opinions, anything else that i'll need to change if i change the motherboard and CPU?

Thanks.

Solution
I hate using the term "future proof" but I can't imagine any development that will make the 9900k struggle with games for a long time. Honestly, the 4770 is hardly a bad CPU now by any stretch of the imagination.

What's your PSU? That's a common piece to upgrade when you're upgrading other parts if the current one isn't very impressive. It would also be a good opportunity to buy an NVME drive.

DSzymborski

Titan
I hate using the term "future proof" but I can't imagine any development that will make the 9900k struggle with games for a long time. Honestly, the 4770 is hardly a bad CPU now by any stretch of the imagination.

What's your PSU? That's a common piece to upgrade when you're upgrading other parts if the current one isn't very impressive. It would also be a good opportunity to buy an NVME drive.

Reactions: helper800
Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Future proof doesn't really exist with PC hardware... not with how new things launch every year.
Will that combo still do what you want it to do in that timeframe? No one can honestly tell you. Though, it's hard to see a 9900k having trouble with anything right now...

Current power supply?

9900k demands a big air cooler, or 280mm or larger AIO.

Reactions: helper800

ibrahimasghar

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013

Thanks for your reply man, i think i have Gigabyte Greenmax 750w, yup i've had a pretty good run with 4770 but now i feel wit the new games it's bottlenecking my GPU.

ibrahimasghar

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
Future proof doesn't really exist with PC hardware... not with how new things launch every year.
Will that combo still do what you want it to do in that timeframe? No one can honestly tell you. Though, it's hard to see a 9900k having trouble with anything right now...

Current power supply?

9900k demands a big air cooler, or 280mm or larger AIO.

Thanks for the reply, my current PSU i think is Gigabyte Greenmax 750w, do you think i9 9900 (Non K) would be an equally good CPU if i don't want to overclock?.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If you're really hung up on not overclocking, it might be more reasonable to get a Ryzen 3700X, and turn on it's PBO feature.
At least that one is already overclocked out of the box, and does not require a beefy cooler.

I can't comment on the power supply though.
What I was able to find was about it was for the lower wattage models, and they were 'ok'.