Question Looking to upgrade my pc

Jul 18, 2022
Hello!

I'm not sure which I should upgrade on my pc next CPU or GPU I'd appreciate anyone's views on this. My current PC I build in early 2018 I use it for gaming and work and currently, I'm leaning towards a GPU something like rtx3060ti or higher but not sure.

My Current Specs:
Motherboard:
Prime b350-plus -- but I already bought a new 1 which is Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700x
CPU: Cooler Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4
GPU: Geforce GTX 1070 8GB
Memory : 4x DDR4 2133 8GB
Power: don't remember the model but it was 750W

kizo

Prominent
BANNED
Jul 17, 2022
That's how dice rolled this time but had Nvidia on AMD and AMD Gpu on intel. Besides that, what would be pair with Nvidia when they don't make CPU and MB or practically anything else ?
Well I've see plenty of times how people pair Intel and Nvidia both as 2 half's of the same coin.
Like 2 lovers.
Watched movie Inception?
Like that.
Asus plays well with both.
In the Very High end.
Usually.

In the B450 segment?
Hardware Unboxed Steve has really low opinion of Asus Rog B450.
Perhaps he should get MSI B450 Tomahawk Max 2 or MSI B450 Carbon.
Or better yet B550 MSI Pro - VDH(with or without Wi-Fi) or B550 Tomahawk on the bit higher end.
Or ASUS B550 TUF.
Micro or otherwise.
Very good Asus boards and not even High End.

Well I've see plenty of times how people pair Intel and Nvidia both as 2 half's of the same coin.
Like 2 lovers.
Watched movie Inception?
Like that.
Asus plays well with both.
In the Very High end.
Usually.

In the B450 segment?
Hardware Unboxed Steve has really low opinion of Asus Rog B450.
Perhaps he should get MSI B450 Tomahawk Max 2 or MSI B450 Carbon.
Or better yet B550 MSI Pro - VDH(with or without Wi-Fi) or B550 Tomahawk on the bit higher end.
Or ASUS B550 TUF.
Micro or otherwise.
Very good Asus boards and not even High End.
Do you think that Nvidia would risk half the market just to make their GPUs not 100% compatible with AMD ? Or AMD with Intel ? That's so much BS.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
I didn't just come up with that myself this minute, I read about it on the official websites. Things may have changed since then though, as nVidia was looking for getting into intel as APUs, where Intel said nyet and going their own way.

Jul 18, 2022
Thanks for everyone's input since i currently only have 1080p monitors i don't need GPU upgrade yet so i went with an cpu ordered Ryzen 7 5800x which is compatible with the new mobo just might need to flash update bios for it to work

kizo

Prominent
BANNED
Jul 17, 2022
Do you think that Nvidia would risk half the market just to make their GPUs not 100% compatible with AMD ? Or AMD with Intel ? That's so much BS.
I didn't say that lol.
Just that for some reason the so-called PC Master Race often pair Intel and Nvidia together as 1 whole.

Perhaps because both companies have(had?)a reputation of having less problematic drivers historically.
I suppose Ryzen may have changed many such minds.
RDNA&RDNA2?
No idea.

It is possible I had misfortune to often stumble upon trolls and fanboys.
Or perhaps I am Intel and Nvidia troll meself.

Even if I am a lying Troll and a fanboy, I don't see where I said that Nvidia would risk incompatibility with AMD segment of CPUs.

I had just 1 PC so my personal knowledge is extremely limited.
But I AM running away from AMD GPUs though.

I didn't say that lol.
Just that for some reason the so-called PC Master Race often pair Intel and Nvidia together as 1 whole.

Perhaps because both companies have(had?)a reputation of having less problematic drivers historically.
I suppose Ryzen may have changed many such minds.
RDNA&RDNA2?
No idea.

It is possible I had misfortune to often stumble upon trolls and fanboys.
Or perhaps I am Intel and Nvidia troll meself.

Even if I am a lying Troll and a fanboy, I don't see where I said that Nvidia would risk incompatibility with AMD segment of CPUs.

I had just 1 PC so my personal knowledge is extremely limited.
But I AM running away from AMD GPUs though.
Well, I'm on my probably one hundred's personal PC or more since 1980s and who knows how many PCs I worked on, Since Atari 1040ST I never bought a finished PC. always assembled my own ones, upgraded them and modified if need be. Never run into CPU to GPU compatibility problems.

Reactions: Why_Me

alexbirdie

Respectable
My Current Specs:
Motherboard:
Prime b350-plus -- but I already bought a new 1 which is Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700x
CPU: Cooler Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4
GPU: Geforce GTX 1070 8GB
Memory : 4x DDR4 2133 8GB
Power: don't remember the model but it was 750W

I would suggest:

1700x -----> 5700x( should be possible with the new ASUS-MB, but please check BIOS-version first).

2 x 16 GB DDR4 3200 or better 3600.

I suppose, this will give you a great boost in performance ( especially the RAM-upgrade).

And then, if you are not satisfied, you can think about a GPU-upgrade ( perhaps a 3070?).

kizo

Prominent
BANNED
Jul 17, 2022
Well, I'm on my probably one hundred's personal PC or more since 1980s and who knows how many PCs I worked on, Since Atari 1040ST I never bought a finished PC. always assembled my own ones, upgraded them and modified if need be. Never run into CPU to GPU compatibility problems.
And I didn't claim there were/are.

Whatever the case,I guess me and other people were victims or would be victims of trolls.
Problem is I won a troll Jackpot in that case,because there were many claims that were saying such or similar things.
Because of the how Hardware Unboxed and Gamers Nexus and Digital Foundry reacted to Ryzen 3000(not 3200g & 3400G)series,I decided to mostly ignore such claims.
Mostly

And I didn't claim there were/are.

Whatever the case,I guess me and other people were victims or would be victims of trolls.
Problem is I won a troll Jackpot in that case,because there were many claims that were saying such or similar things.
Because of the how Hardware Unboxed and Gamers Nexus and Digital Foundry reacted to Ryzen 3000(not 3200g & 3400G)series,I decided to mostly ignore such claims.
Mostly
There's a lot of misconceptions, urban legends and theories out there, flat Earth etc. yes, trolls too.
Anyway, OP chose well (in my opinion) so case closed.

Last edited: