[SOLVED] Looking to upgrade my PC's RAM, but I'm finding hard to find a compatible one.

May 25, 2020
Hello!
I been experiencing some frustrating lag in the games I play recently, and have been told to upgrade my 1x8GB RAM to 16GB. According to CPU-Z and Crucial, my RAM stick model is Samsung's M378A1K43CB2-CTD, and I've been looking for an identical one for some time now with no luck. I know that the RAM you buy needs to be compatible with your motherboard. Mine is MSI's H310M PRO-M2. Should I get another stick of RAM or find a RAM kit that is compatible? If the RAM kit is more worth it, I'd really appreciate some guidance as to what to buy.

Solution
Your RAM is 2666mbps, so any similar speed DDR4 will work. The RAM standard is universal, so there should be no compatibilty issues. Just use a well known make. Steer clear of unbranded Chinese RAM and be careful of fake brands from them - they do not respect copyright.

barryeslick

Reputable
Sep 27, 2018
Your RAM is 2666mbps, so any similar speed DDR4 will work. The RAM standard is universal, so there should be no compatibilty issues. Just use a well known make. Steer clear of unbranded Chinese RAM and be careful of fake brands from them - they do not respect copyright.

Solution

werberman

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
Mixing RAM is doable, but personally I avoid it like the plague (if it were me, I'd likely buy two new sticks since RAM is relatively cheap). If you do decide to buy just one stick, make sure you match not just the speed (2666Mhz) but also the CAS latency, in your case, CL19.

To be clear, you CAN mix and match, it's just not ideal and can cause some...interesting issues.