Looking to Upgrade My Somewhat Dated System...

manooly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Hello All! I currently have an ASUS HD 7870 2GB for my graphics card. I'd like to look into an upgrade. I'm not sure if I should upgrade the video card or RAM to 16GB. What do you think would benefit me more? I pretty much play online games like World of Warcraft and Lord of the Rings Online. My system is somewhat dated but still runs great. Here are some of my specs to help you decide a decent suggestion for me...

Motherboard: ASUS p7p55d-e pro
CPU: Intel i5 750 (OC'd to 3.8 Ghz or so)
RAM: G. Skill 8GB DDR3 RAM
PSU: 850w XFX Black Edition

Please let me know if you need any other information from me! I look forward to any and all suggestions.

Thanks for your time!

- manooly

Going to something like a GTX 1060 would benefit you more than a RAM upgrade. Granted games are becoming more and more RAM hungry, but from what you play now you'll get more out of a GPU upgrade.

On the other hand, how much more do you really need to get out of WoW and LotR?

manooly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Thanks so much for your reply! I do see some hesitation when I play online with these games. I cannot run max settings and would love to! I just don't want to buy an entire new system right now. A few hundred dollars I don't mind.

The best upgrade for you would be a better cpu. Those games need 2 strong cores to run decently. Your hd 7870 is more than fine for it. Also 8 gb of ram is also fine for those games.
I don't know if you want to keep on that platform or go to a whole new one so could you tell me your budget.

manooly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Thanks for your reply! A new CPU would mean a new motherboard correct? I think that would take me well over $300 right? I'm not sure I want to get into replacing the entire motherboard...

GPU 1st then RAM 2nd. However, in your case I suggest both. Upgrade you GPU with the money that you've already budgeted. Then sell your ASUS HD 7870 and use the proceeds to upgrade your RAM. In addition, you should start putting some money aside each week with upgrading to new CPU, motherboard and RAM. Your i7-750 is now seven years old, so an upgrade is indicated.

An i3 6100 sets you back around 140 a motherboard about 40 and ram about 60 so 260 for a at least 2.5x performance increase.

manooly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Thanks again for your replies! Is there anyway you could post some links to some decent parts on newegg.com? I have an account there and would be willing to possibly buy a new CPU and mobo if that would be the best bang for my buck. I'm a little worrried replacing the CPU and mobo but I think I can do it. Thanks again!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FmXt9W

I made this for you.
Btw if the motherboard lacks some usb ports or something you like tell me I'll update it.

manooly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I have a full tower Antec case (old 1200 I believe....a beast) so I think I need a larger motherboard. I also want my motherboard to run AMD GPUs. If I had a budget of $300 or so to buy from newegg.com exclusively what could you come up with? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks again! I guess I would need new mobo, CPU and RAM first off.