[SOLVED] Looking to upgrade older build to be Quiet and Small - Graphics advice needed

May 5, 2020
Hi, looking for some advice please - im in the process of updating my LGA 1155 build to make it run as fast as possible, be smaller and as quiet as possible. My overall intention may end up that i move away from a case and build this all in to my desk.

On the graphics card side of things, ive got an Asus GT640 2GB DDR3 which covers two 'backplate slots' (name evades me).
I mostly use the build for graphic design, and I hardly ever play games on it.

So to move on from the GT640 i was looking at passive cards, first the GT710 2GB DDR5 and now been browsing for GT730. The GT1030 is looking to be a bit more than I'm willing to pay right now.
Im hoping the slight upgrade in tech includign the move from ddr3 to 5 will keep things ticking over nicely.

That being said, im wondering if there are better ideas. Let me know if you need more info to help.
Thanks, Owen

Solution
Trying to keep budget at absolute minimum. This is purely to freshen things up so not quite ready for a full new build yet.
Using ebay as reference, gt710 going around £20-30, gt730 between £40-50 and the 1030 around £70-100! so a bit too far i think.

I will look into newer models where the fan can be set at 0%. My 640 can only work at 10% minimum so come son straight away by the looks of it.

On the budget though, i should be able to recoup some money via the 640 as it seems to be selling around the £40 mark too.

Get the 730 2gb gddr5 low profile, lowest fan is 30%, i still use this card btw, and its pretty quite in my bedroom (a little bit sound proof). or get a gt 1030 2 gb gddr5, heatsink is ok but i prefer the fan...
Hi, looking for some advice please - im in the process of updating my LGA 1155 build to make it run as fast as possible, be smaller and as quiet as possible. My overall intention may end up that i move away from a case and build this all in to my desk.

On the graphics card side of things, ive got an Asus GT640 2GB DDR3 which covers two 'backplate slots' (name evades me).
I mostly use the build for graphic design, and I hardly ever play games on it.

So to move on from the GT640 i was looking at passive cards, first the GT710 2GB DDR5 and now been browsing for GT730. The GT1030 is looking to be a bit more than I'm willing to pay right now.
Im hoping the slight upgrade in tech includign the move from ddr3 to 5 will keep things ticking over nicely.

That being said, im wondering if there are better ideas. Let me know if you need more info to help.
Thanks, Owen
Depending on the budget, gt 1030 low profile is quite good and cheap. but since you're a graphic designer, try to take a look at Radeon Pro WX 3100.

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77 V LX2
CPU: Intel i5-3750k
Corsair 600w PSU
2x 8GB Ram
Asus GT640 2GB DDR3

Moving from SSD/HDD(s) to 512gb M.2 NVME (with adapter).

Typically using adobe CC software, also heavy use of office products and chrome
Well you got a good combo there, but, If you have a better budget, upgrade the CPU,GPU,Motherboard, and Ram. Ryzen 1600AF/2600 + B450 Motherboard + 16gb (2x8gb) DDR4 3200mhz + a GPU of your choice would be great to boost your heavy workloads, but like what i said, depends on your budget

May 5, 2020
there is alot of GT 1030 with passive heatsink, but it will generate heat enough and make sure choose the gddr5 variant, not ddr4.
Trying to keep budget at absolute minimum. This is purely to freshen things up so not quite ready for a full new build yet.
Using ebay as reference, gt710 going around £20-30, gt730 between £40-50 and the 1030 around £70-100! so a bit too far i think.

I will look into newer models where the fan can be set at 0%. My 640 can only work at 10% minimum so come son straight away by the looks of it.

On the budget though, i should be able to recoup some money via the 640 as it seems to be selling around the £40 mark too.

Get the 730 2gb gddr5 low profile, lowest fan is 30%, i still use this card btw, and its pretty quite in my bedroom (a little bit sound proof). or get a gt 1030 2 gb gddr5, heatsink is ok but i prefer the fan, because you do much heavy workload, and heat must be dispatched quick :D

Reactions: owenj20
Solution