Looking to Upgrade older Computer

Feb 16, 2018
Hello,

I received an older computer for free. I am looking to purchase some upgrades to bring it more in line with modern computers. I will use it mostly for homework/committees, online video led courses and possibly some gaming I have internet and bluetooth via usb dongles. What should I look at that is cost effective? My specs

Processor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz
Manufacturer Intel Speed 3.1 GHz Number of Cores 4

RAM 4.0 GB
I used digikey and my ram set is obsolete, followed the upgrade numbers and got to 557-1766-ND Memory Module DDR3L SDRAM 4GB 1866MT/s 240-UDIMM. The cost for one of these is a ridiculous 126$ from micron. Is there a compatible cheaper version?

Chipset intel 6 series c200

Video Card
AMD Radeon HD 6350
Manufacturer
Chipset AMD Radeon HD 6350
Dedicated Memory 512 MB
Total Memory 3.0 GB

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Service Pack
Size
64-bit

BIOS
Default System BIOS
Version
Hewlett-Packard J01 v02.15
Manufacturer
Hewlett-Packard
Date
11/10/11

Sound Device
Realtek High Definition Audio
Driver

Solution
It's an HP. That makes it slightly more difficult. The bios on those HP, Sony, Dell, etc is shortened, it's not wide open like an aftermarket bios. Consequently the bios will only register whatever cpus are in that series.

Ideally, you'd be looking for an i5-3570k, i7-3770K or Xeon 1270v2, but the chances of the bios accepting those is slim, you'll probably only be able to use either the Xeon or a non-k version of the i5/i7. This is after you have updated the bios to the latest possible.

Ram. Don't bother trying to match ram, it's a hair-pulling experience, as you have found out. Better to use a full 2x4gb or 2x8gb kit, it's an already matched set, factory tested as compliant.

OS. Fine as is, it'll actually work better on the older...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's an HP. That makes it slightly more difficult. The bios on those HP, Sony, Dell, etc is shortened, it's not wide open like an aftermarket bios. Consequently the bios will only register whatever cpus are in that series.

Ideally, you'd be looking for an i5-3570k, i7-3770K or Xeon 1270v2, but the chances of the bios accepting those is slim, you'll probably only be able to use either the Xeon or a non-k version of the i5/i7. This is after you have updated the bios to the latest possible.

Ram. Don't bother trying to match ram, it's a hair-pulling experience, as you have found out. Better to use a full 2x4gb or 2x8gb kit, it's an already matched set, factory tested as compliant.

OS. Fine as is, it'll actually work better on the older components, it's the OS designed for them. You could move to Win10, but that only adds issues with the legacy bios and drivers.

Gpu. This part will hurt the most. Gtx1050ti is your aim. Or gtx970. Either would be about as good as it gets. Anything higher and your wallet will choke, prices for top grade cards are astronomically stupid right now. You'll need to check psu size, the 1050ti is comfortable on 350w+, the stronger 970 would be better on 520w+

Ebay is going to be your best friend for all of this, except the gtx1050ti. Everything else used is OK, and it's going to be your best source of older lga1155, ddr3 and gtx970.

Solution
Core i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz is going for $40 on eBay.

It looks like you've mistaken 557-1766-ND Memory for 557-1767-ND Memory which is for a Laptop.

Since you don't list the HP PC model you have, it is hard to know what can be upgraded on it and exactly what fits the case. I presume you want to reuse the case.

Feb 16, 2018

Its a HP Compaq 8200 Elite small form factor... does that help?

Feb 16, 2018
Gpu. This part will hurt the most. Gtx1050ti is your aim. Or gtx970. Either would be about as good as it gets. Anything higher and your wallet will choke, prices for top grade cards are astronomically stupid right now. You'll need to check psu size, the 1050ti is comfortable on 350w+, the stronger 970 would be better on 520w+

The power supply on this is 250W. its looking like I wont be able to comfortably replace it either as the power supply is form fitted to the unit. Anything decent in the 250W range?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Owch, that's tight. No worries. The gtx1050 low profiles will fit. Just. And since they don't require external power, they'll work on that 240w psu.

Unfortunately that Bestec psu is proprietary to that board, there are no easy answers to a change, so you are limited to certain things.

Best cpu is i7-2600.
You are good upto 32Gb of ram
You can use a low profile gpu that has no need of external connections.

Heat is going to be an issue. Once you start gaming, whether with a GT 1030 or gtx 1050, expect high load demands on that i5, plus the gpus heat, it's going to be an issue. You'll need to figure out a way to increase airflow through that case.