[SOLVED] Looking to upgrade PC...not sure where to start.

Mar 16, 2019
CPU: i5 4670k
RAM: 24gb
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-A

Mostly for gaming, built it a couple years back only changed GPU starting to get lag spikes in games and out. Any help is appreciated!

Solution
The i5 4670k is a little under powered for the GTX 1060.
Your memory configuration is not helping, since you will get better performance with dual channel memory (2x 8GB =16GB) supported by your motherboard architecture. Your RAM is running in single channel mode.
The i7-4790K with the 4.00GHz clock speed will give you better performance...but after that there will be no upgrade path.
Maybe you should consider moving into a new platform (Intel 8th or 9th Gen or Ryzen.)
The i5 4670k is a little under powered for the GTX 1060.
Your memory configuration is not helping, since you will get better performance with dual channel memory (2x 8GB =16GB) supported by your motherboard architecture. Your RAM is running in single channel mode.
The i7-4790K with the 4.00GHz clock speed will give you better performance...but after that there will be no upgrade path.
Maybe you should consider moving into a new platform (Intel 8th or 9th Gen or Ryzen.)

Solution
The 4670k is a very fine cpu, and a mere 3gb 1060 should not be an issue at all unless playing rts and other cpu intensive games. Your ram is definitely in a poor config as jojesa stated, so get that sorted first. Run a hardware monitoring software when playing like hwmonitor or aida64, check the temps, cpu/gpu usage, and gpu memory usage. I have a 1060 3gb that gave lag spikes, but stopped when I set up a msi afterburner profile to stop the overheating. It also lagged when the vram capped.