[SOLVED] Looking to upgrade PC, what parts can I salvage/reuse from my old one?

Oct 13, 2019
I'm currently looking to upgrade my PC to something that's a bit stronger in terms of processing power. I inherited the PC that I'm using now, about 8 years ago from a friend who passed away, who was heavily into gaming. The only thing that I've really upgraded since has been the GPU. I'm not really an expert on building PCs, so I'd definitely be looking up resources for replacing parts, since I think some things have specifically sized sockets that they require and how to keep it properly cooled.

I tend to mostly game on it (Apex Legends, CS;GO, Rocket League, etc.), but every now and again I do some Photoshop or Light Video Editing in Premier Pro for fun.

Here's the spec list that I got, using some random app called Speccy: View: https://i.imgur.com/pKqtzYt.png

I've currently got about $700 as a budget to buy some new parts, and reuse the same case. I'm just looking for some direction as to what I should upgrade immediately, and upgrade over time.

Some research has led me to think that my CPU needs some immediate attention, but I also think I would need to upgrade my RAM and motherboard for that to work(?) I also think I'll have to upgrade my GPU at some point in the future, I was considering getting a GTX 1660 as an upgrade for that. What are your thoughts?

PS: if someone could help me figure out why I can't boot it properly, without having to get stuck on the loading screen, go into the bios, exit, and then press escape, that would be amazing.

Solution
I would just keep the 1050 ti and the case.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.79 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $694.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available...
I would just keep the 1050 ti and the case.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.79 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $694.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-13 11:41 EDT-0400

Solution

TRENDING THREADS