Looking to upgrade processor

Solution
don't piss money away on that machine. here are your options........... the ONLY options

Socket type: AM2
TDP: 89 watt
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology up to 5600+ (up to 89 watt)
Athlon 64 less than 4000+
Sempron less than 4000+

dynex

Reputable
Apr 9, 2014
I googled the motherboard on your pc and according to HP it's an am2 socket and the processor you're thinking of getting is an am2+ . I don't think it's compatible with your current motherboard.

PINGW4NG

Reputable
May 19, 2014

Alright, thanks for saving me the trouble. is there a 4-core CPU you could recommend?

don't piss money away on that machine. here are your options........... the ONLY options

Socket type: AM2
TDP: 89 watt
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology up to 5600+ (up to 89 watt)
Athlon 64 less than 4000+
Sempron less than 4000+

Solution

PINGW4NG

Reputable
May 19, 2014

Oof! Yup, I'm already up to the Athlon X2 5600+. I think I'm just going to run an AMD FX8350, on an Asus M5A97, and upgrade as I go. Thanks man, you've been a big help.

I don't recommend an FX-8350. The Intel CPU's are much better. Look up some reviews yourself. In a few recent titles it matches the Intel i5/i7 CPU's but overall it's not as good.

Also, the Devil's Canyon refresh of Haswell CPU's is coming out soon which will solve the overclocking issue with current Intel CPU's so these will be even better. Require a Z97 motherboard for the overclockable DC Haswell CPU's.

Other:
I'm not sure what you mean by "upgrade as I go" after buying an FX-8350 + motherboard. The only thing you could really upgrade would be the graphics card.

Also, when you change Sockets you have to buy a new copy of Windows so you're mostly replacing your entire PC.