[SOLVED] Looking to upgrade ram for my ASUS P8Z77-V LK MOBO

Solution
Problem is, those 3770's cost a friggin fortune where i live (Canada/NL), not counting customs (eBay and whatnot), I've only got 8gb right now and they're 1330 mhz, and old as the hills. My Asus OC brings my i5-3330 to 3.4 ghz so its basically the same, except for the hyper threading/more threads, but if i can track down a reasonably priced 3770 locally i'll probably upgrade it, what kind of cooler would be good for that, or would the stock one i have be fine?
I completely understand that, and with an OC, you're probably right at the same single thread performance and are only missing hyperthreading.

Moving to 16GB would make sense and if so, I'd get the fastest you can--even 2133 or something like that if you can find that used...

ReignOfHell

Commendable
Aug 7, 2020
You're not going to gain anything much from the ram upgrade if all you're doing is changing the speed. You could invest the same money into an i7 upgrade and see much more of an improvement performance-wise:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-3330-vs-Intel-i7-3770-vs-Intel-i7-3770K/1475vs896vs2

Now, if you don't have 16GB already, moving to 16GB will definitely help. I saw big improvements going from 8GB to 16GB on my pre-built Dells from that era.

Problem is, those 3770's cost a friggin fortune where i live (Canada/NL), not counting customs (eBay and whatnot), I've only got 8gb right now and they're 1330 mhz, and old as the hills. My Asus OC brings my i5-3330 to 3.4 ghz so its basically the same, except for the hyper threading/more threads, but if i can track down a reasonably priced 3770 locally i'll probably upgrade it, what kind of cooler would be good for that, or would the stock one i have be fine?

I completely understand that, and with an OC, you're probably right at the same single thread performance and are only missing hyperthreading.

Moving to 16GB would make sense and if so, I'd get the fastest you can--even 2133 or something like that if you can find that used for cheap ($50 usd is what the going rate is here).

As far as cooler, I think you'd be fine with whatever you're using now as the tdp of your processor will jump when you oc it and you're probably nearing what an oc 3770k would be producing in terms of heat.

One thing you could try that might be a cheaper upgrade with similar performance is a 2600k or even 2500k. You could oc these to past 4Ghz if you get a good one and even with a mild oc you should be able to exceed 3.4ghz.

Solution

ReignOfHell

Commendable
Aug 7, 2020
:Moving to 16GB would make sense and if so, I'd get the fastest you can--even 2133 or something like that if you can find that used for cheap ($50 usd is what the going rate is here). :
Yeah, i was debating on getting one of the higher end 'OC'd' Ram, but wasn't sure how that would work since I've stayed away from overclocking any of my parts since i got this pc.

What is there in terms of the 'higher end' ram that is still sold today in terms of Dual Channel DDR3 Ram?