[SOLVED] Looking to upgrade RAM

Jedders99

Reputable
Jul 2, 2020
Hi guys, I'm pretty much a noob in terms of upgrading computers and I have a bit of a pickle.

I'm looking to upgrade my computers RAM of 16gb so Football Manager2020 will run significantly faster and with bigger database.

Heres my current set-up:

MOTHERBOARD - GigabyteF2A78M-HD2 (MAX RAM 32gb)

CPU - AMD A10-7870k Radeon R7, 12 compute cores 4c+4g

GRAPHICS CARD - GEFORCE GTX 1050

TOWER - height-370mm vertical-80mm

WINDOWS -10

I had this custom built over 3 years ago, wanted the best specs at a budget of under £650.

So here's the problem, I see the motherboard only allows a max of 2x16gb mermory (32gbmax) But I seen it extremly difficult to find memory for this model only seen 1x16gb at £150. So that would be £300 for 2.

I could maybe upgrade my motherboard to something that would allow 4x16gb slots for about £65 (yes more than 32gb but might as well have more available for the future. Question is, would it fit in my tower or would I have to buy a new tower at like another £65. All that before I've even purchased extra RAM. And would the other components of pc fit in new motherboard..

So can you more knowledgeable members advice me on best coarse of action? Or advice me on cheapest pieces of kit I can use to reach 32gb. Thanks

Reactions: DB9668
Solution
Thanks I'll probably just forget about extra ram and look Into replacing Motherboard/cpu/graphics.. over time when I can afford it.

Just had another look through the web and I am hearing things about CPU, as you said being as important as RAM so might only have to replace that.
Yes, the cpu is one of the most important parts of the computer, the ram might be the easiest to upgrade but there’s no point in adding past 16gb. For now I’d just upgrade the graphics card, and upgrade the rest when you can.

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Hi guys, I'm pretty much a noob in terms of upgrading computers and I have a bit of a pickle.

I'm looking to upgrade my computers RAM of 16gb so Football Manager2020 will run significantly faster and with bigger database.

Heres my current set-up:

MOTHERBOARD - GigabyteF2A78M-HD2 (MAX RAM 32gb)

CPU - AMD A10-7870k Radeon R7, 12 compute cores 4c+4g

GRAPHICS CARD - GEFORCE GTX 1050

TOWER - height-370mm vertical-80mm

WINDOWS - 10

I had this custom built over 3 years ago, wanted the best specs at a budget of under £650.

So here's the problem, I see the motherboard only allows a max of 2x16gb mermory (32gbmax) But I seen it extremly difficult to find memory for this model only seen 1x16gb at £150. So that would be £300 for 2.

I could maybe upgrade my motherboard to something that would allow 4x16gb slots for about £65 (yes more than 32gb but might as well have more available for the future. Question is, would it fit in my tower or would I have to buy a new tower at like another £65. All that before I've even purchased extra RAM. And would the other components of pc fit in new motherboard..

So can you more knowledgeable members advice me on best coarse of action? Or advice me on cheapest pieces of kit I can use to reach 32gb. Thanks
It looks like football manager 2020 doesn’t use a lot of ram, 2gb minimum, most gaming pc’s won’t use over 16gb, I think getting more ram wouldn’t fix the problem and frankly, would be a waste of money.

If you want to run modern games better I suggest getting a better cpu, preferably with 6 cores, and getting a modern cpu means a change in your motherboard, and in return faster ram which could also be why the game is slow:

You didn’t give me your exact case, so from the case height you gave me I’m going to assume you have a mini tower, so you need a micro ATX motherboard, it’s a bit hard to find a motherboard since I don’t have your entire pc specs, but if you want to do this on the cheap here’s one: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hpRzK8/gigabyte-b450m-ds3h-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-ds3h Something to note: it has one fan header, so if you have more than one case fan get a fan splitter or a new motherboard.

For your cpu this is a great-priced cpu that is mostly future-proof: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9nm323/amd-ryzen-5-3600-36-thz-6-core-processor-100-100000031box (comes with a cpu cooler) If that’s to expensive here’s an alternative: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ndwkcf/amd-ryzen-3-3100-36-ghz-quad-core-processor-100-100000284box (it’s on a bit of a price spike right now, but it’s supposed to be ~$100 if you wait)

And finally the RAM: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/p6RFf7/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3200c16 16gb, 3200mhz, you probable won’t use more than 16gb and 3200mhz is pretty fast!
Of course, this is all assuming your power supply supports all this,I’m not an expert, might want someone else to confirm, but I think this would be the best course of action for your situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jedders99

Jedders99

Reputable
Jul 2, 2020
Thanks for taking the time to give such an imformed reply, apprecieated. Yeah I have a feeling that the obvious option is to upgrade CPU/MOTHERBOARD..etc but that works out at £250, £300 with 4x8gb RAM. Just too much money at this time. And that's providing I don't need extra power supply, can actually fit it all together myself lol.

To Keep me going for next few years I'd much prefer to buy 2x16GB ram sticks. Thought I could have got for about £60 each but my motherboard is very limited and think best I can get is 1x16GB at £150.. Just not worth that either. Unless anyone can see something specific to my motherboard for much cheeper price?

Regarding Footballmanager2020 people said difference from having 8GB RAM to 16GB wouldn't be much but it's been massive when I added that extra 8GB stick 6 months ago. Made the game run a lot smoother and a season from like 8 hours to 6 hours. I hear of people online in a save at like 50 years in :O.. Turns out they can play season in under 4 hours. I thought I could really do with a bit of that!

Here's a bit more info on my build
(WINDOWS SCORE)
MEMORY 8.8
CPU 8.8
GRAPHICS 9.9
HARD DRIVE 5.9

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Thanks for taking the time to give such an imformed reply, apprecieated. Yeah I have a feeling that the obvious option is to upgrade CPU/MOTHERBOARD..etc but that works out at £250, £300 with 4x8gb RAM. Just too much money at this time. And that's providing I don't need extra power supply, can actually fit it all together myself lol.

To Keep me going for next few years I'd much prefer to buy 2x16GB ram sticks. Thought I could have got for about £60 each but my motherboard is very limited and think best I can get is 1x16GB at £150.. Just not worth that either. Unless anyone can see something specific to my motherboard for much cheeper price?

Regarding Footballmanager2020 people said difference from having 8GB RAM to 16GB wouldn't be much but it's been massive when I added that extra 8GB stick 6 months ago. Made the game run a lot smoother and a season from like 8 hours to 6 hours. I hear of people online in a save at like 50 years in :O.. Turns out they can play season in under 4 hours. I thought I could really do with a bit of that!

Here's a bit more info on my build
(WINDOWS SCORE)
MEMORY 8.8
CPU 8.8
GRAPHICS 9.9
HARD DRIVE 5.9
I doubt you will see much, if not any difference if you get more than 16gb if ram, the only reasonable explanation of buying more ram would be if your doing hardcore video editing, 3D Modeling, or opening 10+ chrome tabs. Games don’t usually need any more than 16gb if memory and you won’t see the performance boost you saw when you upgraded to 16gb. If you are having troubles with memory then it is most likely your memory speed, DDR3 is usually pretty slow, and you’ll see a performance boost when you get faster memory, DDR4 which your motherboard doesn’t support. Checking again It could also be your VRAM, your graphics card only has 2gb, which would be good for low-end games, but if your trying to do more then it will lead to a large frame loss. You’ll want at least 4gb. On second thought you might want to get a graphics card with more vram before doing anything else. With your budget I suggest an Rx 570/580 or a gtx 1660 super. you’ll see a huge difference.

Jedders99

Reputable
Jul 2, 2020
Thanks I'll probably just forget about extra ram and look Into replacing Motherboard/cpu/graphics.. over time when I can afford it.

Just had another look through the web and I am hearing things about CPU, as you said being as important as RAM so might only have to replace that.

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019

Yes, the cpu is one of the most important parts of the computer, the ram might be the easiest to upgrade but there’s no point in adding past 16gb. For now I’d just upgrade the graphics card, and upgrade the rest when you can.

Solution

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Well, the thing is if your upgrading your cpu, then you’ll have to upgrade your motherboard and ram... So, ya.
Upgrading your graphics card will give your game better graphics at a higher frame rate, and with more vram it can lose more textures and do more things at once. Cpu would also increase processing power. And, looking at the age of your system, get an SSD if you already don’t have one, your pc will boot up a lot faster and way shorter game loading times.

Jul 2, 2020
So you think upgrading the graphics card is more important than upgrading CPU as first upgrade? Would it improve FM2020
I don't know much about hardwares but that 2gb you see as minimum is actually meant for players who are using one league or two at most. The usage of ram depends on your database.

So if you want to run the game faster with a huge database you will need a better CPU, RAM, and an SDD if possible. Your CPU's speed and cores are the main thing for better performance.

Jedders99

Reputable
Jul 2, 2020
I don't know much about hardwares but that 2gb you see as minimum is actually meant for players who are using one league or two at most. The usage of ram depends on your database.

So if you want to run the game faster with a huge database you will need a better CPU, RAM, and an SDD if possible. Your CPU's speed and cores are the main thing for better performance.

Yeah I'm thinking now to get best results I'm gunna have to upgrade CPU, Graphics Card and SSD for best results.

Ran FM2020 and checked stats at same time, only had 6GB RAM in use by game, So I think 'ThatSourMelon' is spot on, any extra RAM would be of no real use.

I've worked out I can get Geforce GTX 1660 super, AMD RYZEN 5 3600.. and Kingston KC600 256gb SSD for £400. If I get graphics card 1st and SSD for £240, Could sell my GTX1050 on ebay for about £70 so only spending £170 to start with, think I might go with this plan.

Jul 2, 2020
Yeah I'm thinking now to get best results I'm gunna have to upgrade CPU, Graphics Card and SSD for best results.

Ran FM2020 and checked stats at same time, only had 6GB RAM in use by game, So I think 'ThatSourMelon' is spot on, any extra RAM would be of no real use.

I've worked out I can get Geforce GTX 1660 super, AMD RYZEN 5 3600.. and Kingston KC600 256gb SSD for £400. If I get graphics card 1st and SSD for £240, Could sell my GTX1050 on ebay for about £70 so only spending £170 to start with, think I might go with this plan.
Graphic card won't help much with FM 2020, but it is good in the long run since you will have to upgrade soon.