[SOLVED] Looking to Upgrade/Replace system, New games are crashing

Nov 7, 2019
Team Tom,
I am looking to upgrade my current system because it seems to have lost a step and began crashing on recent games. I understand I don't have a gaming powerhouse but I still don't think I should be seeing a high frequency of crashes and freezing. I also recently pulled my desktop out of storage for 6 months because I was gone for work so I'm wondering if that storage time might have messed up a component or two.

Current setup:

I have tried to upgrade slowly over time but I'm starting to think my CPU or motherboard needs replacing in order to keep the system alive. When I look at my performance center during gameplay its at 100+% on CPU while the RAM and GPU look to be fine at 80-90%.

If I need to replace the CPU, Motherboard, or both is it worth chopping this one for parts and starting a new setup? I'm probably novice to moderate at PC build knowledge and have read CPU/motherboard upgrades get hairy.

Thanks for all the help!

Solution
Make sure the system is clean and clear of dust, spider webs, ect, since it has been sitting in storage for 6 months. For upgrades, start off with a better quality power supply. It literally could be part of your problem, as that one is poor quality. Quad core gaming is a struggle, in modern AAA titles. A Ryzen 3600 would be a great step up, or better yet a 3700x, for multithreaded performance. Much depends on your budget, though. A new motherboard will require a fresh windows install.

logainofhades

Titan
Make sure the system is clean and clear of dust, spider webs, ect, since it has been sitting in storage for 6 months. For upgrades, start off with a better quality power supply. It literally could be part of your problem, as that one is poor quality. Quad core gaming is a struggle, in modern AAA titles. A Ryzen 3600 would be a great step up, or better yet a 3700x, for multithreaded performance. Much depends on your budget, though. A new motherboard will require a fresh windows install.

Solution
Nov 7, 2019

Logainofhades,

Thanks for the quick response, I can look into the PSU especially with pending black Friday deals. Based on your experience, is the hassle of executing a CPU/Motherboard replacement worth it compared to spending a little more for a new system to build around? My biggest concern is botching the surgery and being forced to fall back on a new system anyway.

Thanks again

logainofhades

Titan
Doing a CPU, ram, and motherboard swap is not any more difficult, than building new. I did a new platform swap, not that long ago. I went from a 6700k, Asus Z270 strix itx, and 16gb 2133, to a Ryzen 7 3700x, Gigabyte x570 Aorus ITX, and 16gb 3733. Only issue I had, is I made the mistake of using an old install revision, of Windows. Did a new fresh install, with the latest version, and I was up and running.

Reactions: sniper10193