Looking to upgrade significantly from Nvidia GTS 250

stef85

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP

BUDGET RANGE: $200-300

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming. I primarily play WoW, and while I want something that can run Mists of Pandaria on the absolute highest settings, I also want a card that will run games like Skyrim and Diablo 3 very smoothly.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Current GPU is the NVIDIA GTS 250 (was the highest upgrade option when I purchased the computer in 2009). Power supply is the Delta Electronics DPS-460DBA it came with.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: I have a HP Pavilion e9150t and 6GB of RAM installed, but can take up to 24GB. Motherboard is IPMTB-TK

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Amazon, since I have $200 in gift cards

PARTS PREFERENCES: None

OVERCLOCKING: No
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I’ve been looking at the Radeon HD 7870. I'm willing to purchase a new power supply, since I know my crappy 460watt one isn't sufficient, and add more RAM if need be. I'm more concerned with the actual card fitting in my case, since my old GTS 250 is only 9" long and all these new ones seem so much bigger.

Any and all help appreciated! Please excuse my near illiteracy regarding computers. :na:

Oh and just for good measure, the power supply I was looking at is the SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096

Thanks!

stef85

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

Thanks! I see that most of these cards are 9.5 inches. Would that be a problem since my current one is 9? I looked in the case but tbh I'm not really sure what I'm looking at in terms of available space.

to add to that, most of the 660 cards are actually short, but the cooler extends much further than the pcb itself. So it would be possible with a different cooling system to make a considerably shorter one.

abbadon_34

Distinguished