Question Looking to Upgrade the CPU...worth it?

freakinhobo

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2015
I built the following computer more than 4 years ago and it's still great... really runs anything we want at maxed out framerates. The one time it slows down a bit is when my wife streams... I wanted to see if upgrading her CPU might help a bit with that. From what I read the Intel Core i7-4790K is the best this mother board can support but is still almost $300 at newegg. If I wanted to go to a new chipset I would have to place the motherboard, CPU and memory. I figure I'd be looking at about $200 for a decent MSI motherboard, $3-400 for a CPU and about $100 for decent DDR4 32GB memory for a total of $700ish. We play games like Overwatch, WoW, first person shooters.. again performance has always been great... only slows down when streaming (framerate). Is all of this overkill.. should I stick with just upgrading the CPU for now and do a full upgrade a couple years down the road?

Additionally she has 2 GTX 970s but only one installed.. is there a noticeable difference if I install the 2nd one as well?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 1TB Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI MSGTX970G4G GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G Graphics Card
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Streaming is where ryzen really shines! A 3600, or better 3700x would be great in this situation.

Do the games you play support sli? If they do adding the second card is a viable option. If they don't, you'll be adding unnecessary heat into a system. Not utilizing the second card, and possibly hurting fps. All while using more power.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/L6KgD2

I definitely wouldn't even consider the new i7 for that price. Just grab a used one. Still pricey, but not 300 pricey. Itll give you a small bump in performance.