Looking to upgrade to a larger display, possibly replace video card as well.

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
I put together a system last a couple years back with a 4ghz Core i7 6700k processor 16gb ram, 750 watt power supply, pair of Samsung m.2 SSDs, and an NVidia GTX 970 graphics board.

Due to a big hutch on the back of the desk I've had for 20+ years I was limited on my choice of monitors. A few years back I was able to wedge in an HP 23bw, but anything bigger's been out of the question.

I'm starting to have intermittent issues with my screen and I think it's time to get something new. Fortunately I have a new desk with a flat surface that can hold whatever monitor I'd like. I'm kind of thinking about going a little bigger. Maybe the 25"-27" range. Nothing bigger than that, definitely don't need anything bigger.

If I go that big am I going to want to stay with 1080p, or am I better off with 1440? I don't want my text to look pixelated, but also don't want it so tiny I have to squint. Also, If I step up to 1440p I'm probably going to need a higher end video card. RTX 2070 maybe? I don't mind spending the money for something fairly good as I'll be using it for at least a 2-3 years probably.

Most of my time is poring over documents and images for work, but I do kick back a bit to play a few games Mostly WoW or GTA 5, but who knows what I might start playing in the future. I'd like to have something that can handle my current stuff maxed out and at least be playable on future offerings.

Probably looking to spend a max of about $500 on the monitor and the same on video. That's not set in stone can go higher if need be but don't need the most extravagant setup. Something solid that looks nice.

Jan 30, 2019
I Recently bought samsung c27hg70 it is a 1140p monitor it is 144hrz. (i have a 1080p monitor of 27 inch and i think it is pixalated that is my opinion tho)
it is a lps screen (good for work and gaming)
it is within you're price range
but is is little smaller then what you want(you can buy the bigger one witch is more $$$)
i a have a gtx1070 8gb witch is running fine
i only have this problem with my monitor or pc idno witch i posted just a few minits ago
conclusion i recomend samsung c27hg70

Personally I like 1440p at 27inch, gaming wise my 970 has been great for me. Text wise it doesn't care. High frequency does feel better, images are smoother when scrolling etc. If your card can't take it then G-Sync will fix that (but the monitor gets more pricey.

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
I just realized I'd forgotten to take something else into consideration because I haven't got the new desk assembled yet. It isn't as deep as my old one, meaning the monitor is going to be a few inches closer to me. Just moving things around here with a yardstick I think the 27" may just be uncomfortable at that distance.

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
As I sit here currently I'm about 26" from my 23" screen. With the new desk I'll probably be an inch or two closer I'm guessing.

If I was smart my best bet would probably to just get the new desk assembled and actually get a feel for my setup before spending money on hardware. Of course I'm rarely that smart...

That would be the smart thing to do.

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
So I haven't completed the desk drawers and all yet but I'm at least able to sit down and see how it's going to be. The 23" monitor looks fine, of course. I made some cardboard dummies to see how big the others would be. The 25 seems best off the bat, but I might be able to grow on a 27. That I can worry about later.

Now I'm worrying about IPS vs TN monitors. Like I said earlier, most of the work on this pc is going to be documents as well as some image manipulation and graphics work for work. Also some netflix watching and a bit of games. (Mostly just wow and gta 5).

From what I'm reading I'm going want to stick with an IPS monitor like I've got now for color and viewing angles, but if I want to do any sort of gaming I'm gonna want a TN one. Am I overthinking things and with what I'm doing will I probably be ok on the gaming side if I go IPS? Any recommendations? Also have a friend offering to sell an Asus RX Vega 64 card. I think I've been reading too much I'm over my head now!

I'm gaming on IPS unless you are a competitive gamer you won't notice anything, I'd go for image fidelity over a few milliseconds of refresh.

If you think it's too close a stand clamped to the back of the desk should give you an inch or two over the stock monitor base, and free up some desk real estate.

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
Good thinking on the stand. I had thought about wall mount if need be but that would be a lot of putzing around.

As for the monitor itself yeah I think I'm going to go the IPS route. Depending on the size if I do go 27, I'm looking at the Dell U2719D.