Looking to upgrade up from 560 ti, also higher res monitor

jojestic

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Hello,

I have a 560 ti, and it's definitely starting to show it's age. I have 4 megs of RAM, and an i5 2500k processor. I want to increase my performance, but also want to know if/when I'd bottleneck, and if I should look into upgrading processor/mobo yet, or if they'll be good for a while. I'm looking to spend somewhere around $300 on the card.

I'm also looking to buy a new monitor. My current one only supports up to 1600x900, so I'd like to get once that supports some higher resolutions. Again, looking at $300, but I really don't know much about monitors, so I'm flexible there.

Solution
CPU vs, GPU is a perennial question.
Here is my stock approach to that question:
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed...
CPU vs, GPU is a perennial question.
Here is my stock approach to that question:
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

You could also experiment with removing one core in the bios. You can also do this in the windows start configuration.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many cores.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

Your 2500K is still a very good cpu, particularly if you give it a conservative overclock.

For gaming with no other multitasking 4gb of ram should not be an issue.

Spend what you need for a good monitor, They tend to be with you for a very long time.
Your budget will buy you a nice 24" 1080P (1920 x 1080) monitor.
But, consider going to a 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor
$300 will buy you a well reviewed QNIX 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5JJ2CA1185
You might even be able to buy one cheaper on ebay, shipped directly from Korea for less.

The psu that runs your GTX560ti will also run a a GTX970, a $330 card.
If that is a bit much, the GTX960 should launch Jan 22 and will be well within your price range.

Solution

jojestic

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
I was looking at the GTX970, so it looks like that's my card. However, I'm not comfortable buying a Korean monitor, I hear about those having dead pixels, and being hard to return, so I just wouldn't want to take the chance. Any other monitor recommendations? 120hz would be preferable. But I've been looking and I realize now that $300 won't get me very far. What's available around the $500 mark?