Looking to upgrade video card to fortnite capable

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 23, 2018
I recently acquired a Compaq Presario with NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430. Being disabled, Im unable to simply buy a new PC. Can someone help identify what video card would best replace this in order to play fortnite, as *inexpensive* as possible. This is for my special needs son's birthday gift, and money IS an issue.. lol

Thanks

Update:
--------------------
Hopefully this is the info you need:

Compaq Presario CQ5320F
AMD Athlon II X2 240 Processor 2.80gz
RAM: 6GB
x64

Thanks to everyone who is attempting to help. I'm very grateful!!

------------------------------------------------------
Here's the fortnite specs:

Here are the Fortnite system requirements (minimum)
CPU: Core i3 2.4 Ghz
CPU SPEED: Info
RAM: 4 GB
VIDEO CARD: Intel HD 4000
Fortnite Recommended Requirements
CPU: Core i5 2.8 Ghz
CPU SPEED: Info
RAM: 8 GB
VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GTX 660 or AMD Radeon HD 7870 equivalent DX11 GPU

Solution

SFF, still OK.

That is OK as well, I can guide you trough installation.
Do you still need keyboard and mouse? Do you have anything or nothing at all?

We need to know more about your Optiplex.

If you don't have keyboard and mouse, please PM me your Optiplex Service Tag number, it is not for Public eyes to be posted in open forum, so I can extract your system info.

If you have keyboard and mouse already (might come with Optiplex)
Lets go simple route...
Assuming it's the DDR5 model, a 1030 is a 1030. Clock speed can vary, but it makes no real world difference. Some cards may have slightly different cooling. Some have only heatsinks, which makes them very quiet but they run hotter while gaming- not good. Some have fans, which makes them noisier sometimes however this extra cooling can be handy if gaming is why you're buying it.

Otherwise it's brand name preference like with other products. I tend to like Asus and EVGA products because I've had very good experiences with them. Other people have their own preferences.

Aug 23, 2018
So a VERY wonderful person ended up buying me a Dell Optiplex 9010. HD Intel 4000... runs fortnite at around 40fps...

What's the next step up of card? Can I still install a 1030? I think the psu in this is 240w...
I'd love to be able to upgrade enough for it to be good, without spending an arm & a leg.
I'm also ok with upgrading the gpu and then the psi later...

Thanks for your help.

I am late to the party, as I am a Dell guy.
But I almost cried when I saw people were advising you getting PSU upgrade for GT 1030 card, it is a fallacy.
Your PSU can support GTX 1050TI (Presario) as it takes all power from PCIE x16 slot. Good you did not waste money on it, also your original Athlon is very weak, I had this crap in my Inspiron 570, very nice paperweight now.

Next. Optiplex upgrades. First I need to know form factor.

NbODY0r.jpg

Which one is yours? MT accept full height GPU, DT and SFF only low profile, and USFF nothing.

So please respond.

Aug 23, 2018
Mine is the small form factor.

Please remember this is NOT my forte... I can look stuff up and follow some conversation, but my brain is NOT wired to understand stuff like this.
Heck, I ONLY run one ninja on fortnite because I can't follow the perks and abilities!!

SFF, still OK.

That is OK as well, I can guide you trough installation.
Do you still need keyboard and mouse? Do you have anything or nothing at all?

We need to know more about your Optiplex.

If you don't have keyboard and mouse, please PM me your Optiplex Service Tag number, it is not for Public eyes to be posted in open forum, so I can extract your system info.

If you have keyboard and mouse already (might come with Optiplex)
Lets go simple route.
Install CPUZ https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.86-en.exe
Get Imgur picture hosting https://imgur.com/register .

Run CPUZ. We need processor model from MAIN CPUZ TAB, next open Memory TAB, use keyboard and press Print Screen button.
Next go to Accessories and open Paint, use Crop function and cut exactly CPUZ picture, next step is to open new Paint window, when asked what to do with first file, don't save, now Paste what you cropped and save and save it on your desktop. Next upload picture to Imgur. It is easy once you do it a few times, make browser window half size and drag with mouse your picture into Imgur upload Zone, you done with uploading. Next left mouse click on Imgur picture, next right click (mouse) on the picture and select View picture, copy address info ending with .JPG
here into you post.
Do the same with SPD TAB from CPUZ.
All this will give us information about your Memory Type, exact model installed, amount, etc

If you know this already, please just post it here.

Upgrading power supply (PSU) in SFF is huge headache, so we will try to avoid it. This is short specs list https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/dell_optiplex_9010_spec_sheet.pdf

This manual is needed to guide you through hardware installation process https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-9010_owner's%20manual3_en-us.pdf

This is extra information https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-9010_user's%20guide_en-us.pdf not needed now.

Coming back to your PC.

This is your motherboard

UXIIN5k.jpg

Side Panel open small

ZfsKs2s.jpg

Side Panel open large

26iSLOJ.jpg

Based on those pictures you can install low profile dual bracket video card (GPU).

If you don't need keyboard and mouse.

The best in your budget ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Low Profile 2GB GDDR5 128-bit Gaming Graphics Card ZT-P10500E-10L
Amazon https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-Profile-Graphics-ZT-P10500E-10L/dp/B06XHJX4G8/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1535740158&sr=1-7&refinements=p_89%3AMSI|ZOTAC%2Cp_n_condition-type%3A2224371011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_five_browse-bin%3A6147187011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A6147184011
Newegg https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500416&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSNICRZGAFDP-_-14-500-416-_-Product

I guarantee Zotac GTX 1050 fit and PSU compatibility

If you need to purchase keyboard and mouse, you can go with previously mentioned purchase offer, minus PSU.

Anything else I can help you with?

Solution
Aug 23, 2018
It'll take me a bit to locate the info you've requested, he stays on this 24/7.
If I didn't download the CPUZ, is this somethimg if find in the about type areas, or something that's, only found using a CMD in-depth coded search?

Or you can provide Service Tag number, which will show original configuration, as sold, of your Optiplex.
If it was not upgraded, which I doubt, that would be enough. More headache checking it, but possible.

Here are examples of what I am looking for.

hIFpH7j.jpg

YmtTHtN.jpg

Sticker attached to the Optiplex case.

So, what is the budget left for video card?